Installer for Redistributable DLLS

I have used Actual Installer for a couple years and have really liked it until now. With it, I can test for the C++ runtime redistributables having been installed or it can test for Windows 10 is running, but it cannot (or at least I have not been able to make it) put the two together so the redistributabless are installed if it is not Windows 10 and they have not been installed yet.

My options appear to be:
1.Put a note with the installer that if the app doesn’t run they should install the redistributables and include a link for the download.
2. Force them to install even for Windows 10 (This is a bad enough idea I have not tried installing them on a Win 10 machine)
3. Find a new installer that will handle the problem properly.

Does anyone have a good solution for this problem?

Dont install them on Windows 10
If your customer is on Windows 10 they already have them
Only check for Windows 7 or 8 (including 8.1) and install them there - although I have to admit that I thought Windows 8/8.1 already had them too
See System Requirements here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840

Norman, you just restated my question. I need an installer smart enough to know that it should not install them if it is running on Windows 10 or if they have already been installed. Actual Installer does not have that capability. Is there an installer that does and doesn’t cost thousands of dollars?

It’s near the end of the day on Friday, mistakes happen, I’m sure Norman just misunderstood :slight_smile:

Have you tried InnoSetup? It’s not the most user friendly, but it’s incredibly scriptable. I’m not an expert on InnoSetup, so I couldn’t tell you without researching if, and how, it could be done with InnoSetup.

I dont think i did
If it can tell its on Windows 10 (or newer) - DO NOTHING
You never need to install them on windows 10 - bail out right there

If you havent bailed out then test for if they exist since you now know you’re NOT on Windows 10

if Windows10 or newer return
   // I now know I am on 7 or 8
   if not redist exists then install

EDIT - Never mind
I dont think that installer is going to let you do this after a quick look
At least not the free version

Can you not just write a console app that will do what ever you need and run it as part of the install process?

There’s nothing wrong with letting the redist run on Windows 10 in your installer and keep the same installer across any version of Windows- these are also used by other applications built with Microsoft tools and they will not install the Universal C Runtime again if it isn’t necessary (like on Windows 10). You don’t need to do anything special.

Everyone on the thread is correct that they aren’t required to run on Windows 10, but I just wanted to add that there is no harm in doing so.