Installer codesign problem

This week, I do not know why, an installer created using Inno setup, After being codesigned, will not run properly

I can codesign my EXE file, and it reports singed properly, and runs properly
An unsigned setup.exe will work as expected
Once signed, I get an error ‘The extended attributes are inconsistent’ and bad things happen.

If I create an MSI using Advanced Installer, and sign that, it too works as expected.

Anyone know what may be wrong?

And/or an alternative to Inno which creates MSI files (assuming they are still used by Windows…)

Bizarrely, a setup.exe generated by ‘Actual Installer’ codesigns and runs fine.
This makes no sense.

[quote=456123:@Jeff Tullin]This week, I do not know why, an installer created using Inno setup, After being codesigned, will not run properly

I can codesign my EXE file, and it reports singed properly, and runs properly
An unsigned setup.exe will work as expected
Once signed, I get an error ‘The extended attributes are inconsistent’ and bad things happen.

If I create an MSI using Advanced Installer, and sign that, it too works as expected.

Anyone know what may be wrong?

And/or an alternative to Inno which creates MSI files (assuming they are still used by Windows…)[/quote]
The answers I’ve found via google all sound rather dire.

For instance…
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/extended-attributes-are-inconsistent/613a4663-9e0c-4dd0-b7df-f2a8ba15fdd0

Google’s answers on this are all basically echoes of each other.
I’ve run through their proposed ‘fixes’ (turn off the UAC sound? Really?)

But no other programs , installers, or files have the problem.
Only brand new installers created by Inno, and only if they are codesigned.
Makes no difference whether Inno does it, or Ksign does it stand alone.

Installers I created last week work fine.
Virus checking turns up nothing.

Replaced my entire WIndows VM with known good backups from months ago… same happens
Guess I’ll have to swap installers… I cannot work out what codesigning actually DOES to a file.

[quote=456163:@Jeff Tullin]Replaced my entire WIndows VM with known good backups from months ago… same happens
Guess I’ll have to swap installers… I cannot work out what codesigning actually DOES to a file.[/quote]
FWIW, we codesign all of our prerelease windows builds and I haven’t noticed anything like this on our systems.

I think it happened due to a setting in Options relating to running the installer as Admin - was no longer ticked somehow.
Tagged as administrator, it seems to work properly
testing resumes…

That wasnt it. :frowning:

But I can report that a setup created with ‘Actual Installer’ (I used the free edition but have now bought the paid) , works very nicely.
And it was actually easier to configure than Inno, which is a plus.