Including external file(s) in IDE

I have noticed that in the new environment I can’t “Import as external” a file (text) and then see the content in the IDE.
I use this to include note files ( like read me, thingstodo) and the viewing and editing of these files no longer seem to work.

Does anyone use this feature and have you seen this too or am I missing something?

Not really important just annoying.

I believe you can still use the modifier keys when you drag the item into the project and bring it in as an external item.

That is true, I found that out after looking trough the forum and see if somebody already experienced this particular issue.

And that works, I can include the external file.
I just don’t see the content of the text file, and that use to be possible.

I think just clicking file - import, imports it as external anyway. You can see this by the little shortcut icon on the icon of the file in the navigator. I beleive it just creates a link to the file. And I just tried and looks like you cant view the content of the text file. Shame really as you can see the content of graphics files when you import a PNG file as external.

I don’t remember the IDE ever showing the contents of imported text files that way – when you double-click it just launches the default external editor for text files (like TextEdit) to show you the contents. It still works that way so nothing’s changed.

I’m on a Mac so maybe it’s different on other platforms.

[quote=22275:@Marc Zeedar]I don’t remember the IDE ever showing the contents of imported text files that way – when you double-click it just launches the default external editor for text files (like TextEdit) to show you the contents. It still works that way so nothing’s changed.

I’m on a Mac so maybe it’s different on other platforms.[/quote]

I’m on a Mac too but it seems a little inconsistent that you can view graphics but not text files.

I can’t argue that – it would be nice if the IDE would use QuickLook to let you peek at the the files (or included a simple text editor) – but it’s wrong to say that the IDE ever included that feature.

I also do this on a Mac, and you’re right Marc I quickly checked with RS2012r2 and indeed it opens the default external text editor.

Today I just noticed that it doesn’t open the external editor in 2013r2.
And I was sure I could view the file too, but that isn’t the case.

But thanks for the remarks anyway, because it helped me find the solution.
Right-Click on the file, the menu gives you the option off opening the file.
And that’s almost as good as Double-Clicking it.

And my apologies for confusing the issue with stating that it work that previously

Yes you may be right, I’m not sure it ever did, never really thought about it but can see uses for it.

No it doesn’t on my Mac either

It might be worth putting in a Feedback suggestion to add this feature.

Quicklook is dog slow. For a simple file it takes about 2 - 3 seconds. And then you need some caching…

I’ve never noticed that and I use QL heavily. Usually it’s instantaneous. The only time I notice it is slow is when I QuickLook a web page, but that’s just because it has to download the page first.

But at any rate, this discussion was about text files, and with text, QL shouldn’t be slow at all, and certainly faster than opening the file in an external editor just so you can see the contents.

On my 3 year old Macpro the delay was noticable when stepping through a listbox that contained attachment previews. Even moving the call to QuicklookMBS to a thread didn’t help. Christian had to add a non-blocking version for me. And even so Im now caching the images. And no, text wasn’t any better in my tests.

Interesting. My experience is just based on using it in the Finder. I wonder if it’s slower when used elsewhere? Do you notice a difference when viewing the same items in the Finder?

In Finder it never was a problem. Christian says that QuicklookMBS just calls the Finder. You can try the example from the Monkeybread plugin. I had really lots of fun with this the last week.

QL speed (an general speed):
With may 2011-11 MacBook Pro: dog slow
Booting from an external hard disk (PowerBook G4 ex-internal HD 80): fast !

Talink about QL:

What about a QL brick to be able to watch a xojo project contents ?
(instead of firing XOJO to see what inside that project ?