In-App Purchase Strategy

Hi everyone! I’d like to ask for some advice on In-App purchases.

I’m currently thinking about two alternative strategies how to offer the game in the AppStore:
#1 Free download, game can be played up to a certain level and then the user needs to make a one-time in-app purchase to unlock the full game
#2 Free download, game can be played for 7 days (no limitations), then the user needs to make the one-time in-app purchase to unlock the full game

Would any of the alternatives violate the Apple or AppStore rules?
How would you do #2 in the AppStore Connect?
What do you think would be a better approach?

Thanks already!

Hi,

#1 is easy to set up, you can even do A/B testing on allowing users play for free up to level 5 (test A) or level 8 (test B). Then check which of both earns you the most money. Change level numbers to your liking.
Users who don’t want to pay can still play a few levels.

#2 I think this requires you to set up a free in-app purchase labelled as “Free-7 day” in the title to comply with App Store guidelines.
Problem with this is users will abandon the app after 7 days if they don’t want to pay.

I would definitely go for #1

You can eventually have a third option:
#3 Free download, game can be played up to a certain level and then the user needs to make a one-time in-app purchase to unlock the full game. Display ads for users not paying.

Thanks (once again), Jeremy! I did consider ads in the trial version but I wouldn’t know how to do it. Is something like appmonet.com the way to go or what’s the best way?

Actually, integrating ads usually needs to integrate with an SDK, which is very complicated to do as Xojo for iOS doesn’t support plugins yet.

If it’s complicated don’t count on me :wink:
Thank you Jeremie, I will go with #1.