Images and saving source to different format

I’m in the process of setting up my projects to use version control. Had project in the .xojo_binary_project and saved in new folder in the .xojo_project format. In the original project folder had all the images in a folder called ‘Images’. In the new folder it created a folder called "Images’, however none of the images were there, so I manually copied them. When I loaded the project Xojo had me link(?) each of the 95(?) images.

What am I missing? There got to be a better way to do this.

I can’t really say for version control (as I still don’t use it), but personally I store my images in a “Resources” folder, which I then use a build script to import them into the application at run/build time.

I’ve tried version control a couple of time before but always back away, but would like to be able to keep track of changes. Which it kind of hard to do without version control.

That sound like a good way to get a handle on the image used in a project. Think a Xojo script is beyond me.

You don’t have to write any code, select “Copy Files” from the “Build Script” submenu of the “Insert” menu. Then drag in your images into the window and in the inspector, select “Resources” as destination.

Thanks Sam. Will give it a try.

putting the images in version control can let you also revert changes
just tends to not be something you can do a diff with

whats going on here is when you save as version control the project knows where the images are
so the manifest lists them as all being in their original locations

open the project
(just ignore when asked to locate them
remove all the images from the project
on disk put them where you want them in the images folder for eventual check in to your version control system
drag them into the project to add them to the project
now save the project again

That said I usually recommend people NOT add lots of images to their project since they have to be held in memory when you compile so they can be written to the compiled application
This takes memory and is probably one of the MOST common reasons to run out of memory when compiling

Copying them in and loading them dynamically as needed avoids this but is done a little different than just adding them to the project - like Same said - a copy file step

Jim -

Create a “shared” folder for your images.
After you replace them all there, drag and drop them into your project.
The files won’t actually be copied to the project folder hierarchy.

So long as you maintain a project folder hierarchy, the files can always be found. For instance, my work structure looks like this:

~/Developer Shared/ Images/ Scripts/ Tools/ Xojo Projects/ BRU Server/ Agent/ Console/ Server/ Helpers/ ... Java Projects/ ... C Projects/ ... Python Projects/ ...

Additionally, the Shared folders are shared with my graphics artist, two other C developers, and the Webmaster.

Since all of the Java, C, Xojo, and Python projects that need graphics all point back to the Shared/Images folder, they all have a consistent theme when we change styles and the images are consistent between our many tools. The GA team only has to save one set of PSD/PNG files.

Also, if you create a new project or branch of an existing project, so long as that project’s parent folder is at the same level as the original, your images will all be located properly.

Thanks Tim. I’ve wanted to know what organization others used for their projects. While I’m setting up to use version control I’m rearranging my files.

Thanks Norman. It’s good to hear from someone that knows how the system works. BTW the source that was causing me problem I think was written by you, “CustomTabPanelClases”.

No me
Maybe alex restrepo