image flicker when reloading image

I have a timer control on a web app that reloads an image every few seconds. The problem is there seems to be a flicker when loading the new image. I was thinking of implementing a hidden image view and loading to that then marking it as visible. But before I code up this “double buffer” attempt I though I would ask if anyone has any solution’s.

How are you loading the new images ? Dragged into the project ? URL ? WebPicture.Open ? and displaying them ? ImageView ? Canvas ?

Loading the picture from a file on the web server via Webpicture.Open. Also the web app is running as a standalone application not CGI

Standalone should be faster than CGI, so theoretically better at switching pictures.

Canvas DrawPicture or WebImageView.Picture ?

The size of the pictures can also make a difference. The same picture file saved as PNG can often be more than twice as big as the same saved as Gif.

Here is the code that I have inside my timer event:

[code] dim pic as folderitem=GetFolderItem(Endpoint +"-" +id +".jpg")

dim wpic as new WebPicture(pic)
ImageView1.Picture=wpic[/code]

[quote=222868:@Jordan Morris]Here is the code that I have inside my timer event:

[code] dim pic as folderitem=GetFolderItem(Endpoint +"-" +id +".jpg")

dim wpic as new WebPicture(pic)
ImageView1.Picture=wpic[/code][/quote]
You can skip the wpic property. That’ll still work.

If you can make the pictures available to the web through HTTP, using URL instead of a Webfile can be significantly faster.