iMac Pro for Christmas?

Looks good, I really need to replace this creaking MacBook Pro with a more powerful machine.

Interesting that the single core performance is about the same are the current iMac. We as a community really need to come together and create a unified stable and easy-to-use platform for multi-processing.

But Non-upgradable RAM! One of the reasons why Apple got so much hate over the 2016 MacBook Pro redesign, is the 2012 RAM limits and no way to upgrade.

Don’t get me wrong, I am willing to spend that kind of money on a workhorse, but not on a desktop that I can’t at the very least add more RAM or swap the HDD. I honestly thought that the iMac Pro would be upgradable.

The non-Pro 27" iMac has upgradable RAM, seems like someone’s confused over there about what makes a Pro machine.

For all of the new designs’ drawbacks, I’d still be interested to see how the speed of compiling a 64-bit debug build compares to that of my tricked-out 2017 27" iMac. On days when I’m going through a lot of debugging cycles, incremental speed increases become very attractive…

Why is it in spite of all my usual tendency to find excuses to get the latest, I cannot really get myself to pull the money for a machine that apart from space grey, look every bit like the run of the mill iMac ?

It has nothing to do, of course, but yesterday my son actually ordered a Samsung Note 8 mainly because he was fed up by the lack of memory extension on his iPhones. He has been like me a fan boy every since the very first iPhone, back in 2007.

Some people go for looks, some value inner beauty … maybe look beyond appearances?

The iMac Pro isn’t for everyone, but for some it is fantastic.

I’ll wait for the promised “evolutive” next macpro …

iWants.

iMust get my product released - and selling - first.

Starts at $5000, which we already knew. Tops out at $13348. That’s a wide range.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/14/apples-imac-pro-is-a-love-letter-to-developers/

And 1000 $ extra if you want to go from 32 to 64 GB.

DDR4 ECC RAM is really expensive.

Apparently you can take it to Apple Service to have RAM added after the fact, which would imply it’s socketed. Perhaps OWC/MacSales might offer a less costly service for this as well.

The processor is multi-cores.

Is Xojo IDE supporting (USING) all cores (at once) ?

And what about the Xojo created Applications ?

If no, why an iMac Pro ? Faster ? (not enough for the price).

IMHO, of course.

Looks like I must have been nice. Santa is having a late delivery in February as my wife said Yes, yes yes.

My previous three cars (second hand) cost less in total than this one iMac Pro — they were cheap cars!

Yes, the 64-bit compiler uses all cores if I remember correctly.

Thanks Christian.

I thought you might like my comments regarding running Xojo on the new 18-CPU iMac Pro vs 2012 MacBook Pro laptop with SSD.

1. it is faster, but not observably faster. Not on startup, not in Finder, nor launching not running Xojo. I assume SSD’s have solved this already.
  2. Xojo still crashes for me about every two hours, despite having 64 GB RAM (vs 16 before)
  3. Running and Building (set as Normal) seem faster, but it is much faster when optimising, using all 18 CPUs at times!
  4. Optimisation of my web app changes my app size (not including Libs or Resources) in strange ways (this may be unrelated):
    Default = 25.7 MB
    Moderate = 24.5 MB (slightly smaller)
    Aggressive = 52.9 MB (double the size!)
  5. Using Parallels for Windows testing seems as fast as BootCamp, now it has as many CPUs and RAM as it wants
  6. Having ethernet and both USB-C and USB-A ports on the back means I don’t really need the numerous USB-C dongles my wife needs on her 2016 MBP.
  7. The ethernet is REALLY fast.
  8. I have set the lock-screen to come on instantly with the screen-saver or sleep, and it unlocks upon wake if I am wearing my Apple Watch. This is not just a gimmick, but good security (the watch moves and displays a warning when it does it).
  9. The speaker sounds very ‘Bass-ie’. It may be that I was used to tiny MBP speakers.
  10. The built-in video camera for Skype is very high-resolution and clear.
  11. Not many apps are multi-CPU aware. 99% of the time the CPUs are sitting there bored.
  12. The screen is incredibly clear for Xojo editing (but all the Retina iMac people already know this)
  13. The ThunderBolt 3 connections mean that I can have multiple large monitors (I have an ancient Apple 24" LED and an ASUS 4K) with no lag or tearing
  14. Games (I run them only every 2-3 weeks) run very well. The only problem is that some of them balk at the high screen resolution. Funnily I have found they often work best within Parallels.
  15. The black keyboard, mouse and trackpad are cool since they match the iMac Pro casing.
  16. Lots of friends have come to gawk at it, so you will gain ‘street-cred’ for a little while.

In hindsight, save your money and get a normal iMac 5K for Xojo work, it’ll be way cheaper. I don’t regret the iMac Pro purchase at all, but I was given money to buy it (probate), so my situation was not normal compared with someone who has to pay with their wages. Also, I assume the people buying the new Mac Pro (when it comes out) will have the same experience as me.

strange it seems we have the same kind of return from architects customers : nice but not worth the extra $$$
buy a 27" 5k instead, with good video card and ssd, it is half the price.

Maybe the 2018 Christmas iPro will be ?