If you build it, they will come

I renewed my license as soon as I got my stimulus check specifically because of the demo feature video showing off Android controls. I saw that progress and my vote is for Xojo to continue doing things the Xojo way, which I see is in-depth and thorough.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of Android support.

5 Likes

Each of us has different priorities. Xojo as a company needs to expand its market. As much as preemptive threads would entice professional developers, they don’t have the potential, by themselves, to expand Xojo’s market. Perhaps to increase licenses renewal…

3 Likes

I honestly have to agree here, and get Karen’s concerns and as well Jeannot’s comments , as I had same issues on Web, and trust me I do read the examples, that is the first place I go, but when you have issues like HashTagHas Changed for example , you post it on the forum and nobody answers because they know it does not work as they are more focused on doing Android now let’s say then of course that makes you go mad maybe and explode. a lot of things are not working still properly , we never asked for bells and whistles but at least a steady platform and maybe same as XOJO they are on that situation maybe some of us are too ,but we do our best to go trough this and find solutions and as well listen to customers improve and so on, but not this case , it’s if they consider or not to do so. sad but true

BTW just to be clear, one of the examples I used was shared memory not preemptive threads.

While preemptive threads would be better as they would have much less system overhead, supporting them would essentially mean a rewrite of the entire Xojo framework - something which was NOT done for either the “Xojo.” framework or API 2…

That request is a recognition that Xojo does not have the resources to even realistically consider supporting preemptive threads… it is simply too big a job… And in addition, from things I have read they are not easy to code with anyway…

That said, most modern products do provide that functionality and Xojo should try to optimize what it can do in this area IMO. Preemptive threads are basically about performance as are workers.

An easy to use , efficient, X-Platform Shared memory API for use with workers would be a MUCH MUCH smaller job than supporting preemptive threads.

A Shared memory API would be a way of optimizing performance for workers to help ameliorate the lack of preemptive threads as much as possible. It would be a way to boost worker performance when needed BECAUSE Xojo can’t support preemptive threads… with the added bonus of doing it in a “citizen developer” friendly way.

Some make it sound like that feature request is unreasonable…

I think making workers more useful for more applications is more likely to help Xojo in the long run to gain a better reputation and more customers than more half-baked new features.

Of course it is up to Xojo Inc to decide what to do… I have been using the product for almost 20 years… and over the years I think I have noticed a few changes of perspective from the company…

I started this thread to maybe to get them to consider another perspective from that which they have seemed to have been operating under for a long time now. Maybe they have been, but I am pretty sure I am not the only one who feels as I do.

Why this thread seems to generate a bit of animosity from some people is something I just don’t understand.

-Karen

2 Likes

Xojo users are passionate.

1 Like

Please give voluntary posters a break.

I did not notice your post a week ago. It happens. Sorry about that. Nevertheless, I now posted a reply there.

2 Likes

Ho gosh, Thanks for that and I did not meant Voluntary, I meant XOJO, they could help there indeed. Thanks again.

The Xojo forum is a community forum for official answers from Xojo you should contact them via the Feedback App or the email addresses on xojo.com

Yes Xojo personnel do answer on here but are not required to

2 Likes

+1, but something not very clear to beginners for years now. Not blaming the beginners, they just don’t know.

1 Like

I would also agree, maybe a banner on the forum or a statement when joining the forum stating such would help

2 Likes