IDE Feature Idea: Split Views

I find myself jumping between tabs all the time, comparing code or just copy and pasting some bits and pieces. Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could split the IDE vertically/horizontally and have two tabs and their contents displayed next to each other? Like PathFinder (OSX app) does it for folders :slight_smile:

That’s a nice potential feature for the future. Xcode is very good at this type of thing, it’s great on a very large screen.

I know it’s not the same thing but you could always open a new workspace and have different tabs visible there.

With the old IDE we could pull tabs out and then you’d have a seperate window for that tab. It would be nice if that could be brought back. It’s slightly easier to pull out a tab than it is to create a new workspace. It was something I used often.

we had something like that in REALBasic years ago for methods in the same object… I would not expect it in Xojo…

The best we could hope for is being able to tear off a tab into a new window as we could in REALStudio.

I agree - whilst I don’t use it all the time, it is a very handy feature (I’m still using RS)

Well, but then again, all the clutter (Inspector, Navigator, …) gets doubled up. No need to, I imagine just having another “central” space.

That’s the same with a new workspace. For me it’s just ease of use. It’s just a bit more simple to quickly pull a tab to the side than to create a new workspace and then navigate to where i need to be.

…and this would be great if you are working on two or three screens, since then you can utilize all of them.