IDE Error - do not understand!

Getting this error, and I do not understand it. Using 2019 R3.1 on Mojave. It comes after adding an external image (PNG) to the project. BTW, I CANNOT copy/paste the text contents of the error box into this editor; that is a major pain!

Saving will increase the minimum version of the IDE required to open this project.

Saving will increase the minimum version of the IDE required to open this project and will make opening it with older IDEs not function. IDEs that do not make this check may not be able to open the project properly.

I have done several other projects in 2019 R3.1 with multiple external project-added images, without any obvious problem. Can someone please help me figure out what is going on? Edit: removing the added project image removes the warning.

Thanks
Jim Wagner
Oregon Research Electronics

It looks like you are working on a project created with an older version of Xojo. One that the IDE will write a more recent version on the files and you will need a newer IDE version to open it (newer than the one that created the project, not newer than 2019 R3.1).

Is this the first PNG you add to the project?
What version of Xojo was used to create the project?
Are you saving in Text format to see which is the minimum IDE version needed for your project?
Can you save a copy with the PNG in Text format to see to which minimum IDE version the copy (with the PNG) is saved?

Project is created with 2019 R3.1. This is the first added PNG though I also have an added text item. So, I am saving from the same version as the project was created.

Don’t know about saving a project as text. Have never done that (well, maybe back in RB 0.9 or something).

Thanks
Jim

I belive this has to do with ImageSets? I vaguely remember there was a special way to get the old behavior when dragging in an image (holding the option key or something?)

Edit: try these ideas Image vs ImageSet

Norman provided the answer in that linked thread:

IF your app is set to support HI-DPI simply hold the option key down when you drag the picture in and it will be an old “Picture” instead of an image
IF your app is set to NOT support HI-DPI simply hold the option key down when you drag the picture in and it will be an image

Option inserts an picture as “the other type”

Thanks
Jim

1 Like

If you don’t plan on opening the project in an older Xojo version, then don’t worry about the message.

I did a couple of tests for you. This is when I try to save after adding a PNG:

Saving a new project with Xojo 2019 R3.1 set the minimum IDE to 20070100:

Type=Desktop
RBProjectVersion=2019.031
MinIDEVersion=20070100
OrigIDEVersion=20190310

Saving after adding a PNG set the minimum IDE to 20150400:

Type=Desktop
RBProjectVersion=2019.031
MinIDEVersion=20150400
OrigIDEVersion=20190310

As Mike said, is related to ImageSets.

If you don’t plan on support ImageSets, you can change the option:
and should not show that warning.

Another test:

If you save as binary, then you get the warning after trying to save again after you added the PNG.

If you save as XML, then you get the warning after trying to save again after you added the PNG.

If you save as Text (Xojo Project), you don’t get the warning after adding the PNG and just silently update the MinIDEVersion from 20070100 to 20150400.

Edit: the warning was updated on newer Xojo

Thanks!

Jim

1 Like