IDE Code Editor almost unusable

The IDE code editor has slowed down tremendously over the last several weeks. I can type out “asdf” 4 or 5 times and watch it hit the screen over the next 2 seconds (-/+). I’ve looked at some old questions about it here and haven’t found a solution. There was a few things that I couldn’t figure out how to do with my setup like toggle hardware acceleration. But I did run into a potential clue that I hoped might trigger a solution. My license covers up to 2016r2 which is where I first noticed the slow down. I tried a few older releases and the slow down persists. I tried 2017r3 and the slow down was there too. All of this was seen in blank/new projects and with only Xojo running. Memory/CPU/Disk not being tasked according to resource monitors. Last night I downloaded and tried 2018r1.1 and it’s fine. Can anyone think of why 2018r1.1 would work while none of the others do? Some kind of change that I could emulate?

My setup:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Adapter Type GeForce 840M, NVIDIA compatible

TIA

Ben

Because they have been working hard to identify and fix those issues, and, based on your experience, it sounds like they’ve succeeded in the latest version(s).

Well I assumed as much but what I was hoping for was that now that they’ve seemed to have found the issue(s) some of the changes could be applied to older versions. However, having said that, 2016r2 started off working just fine as well. Which makes it even more frustrating because it doesn’t appear to be the only MO of the program. I uninstalled/re-installed 2016r2 this AM before posting here and that didn’t help.

@Ben:
Have you read the Xojo 2018r1.1 Release Notes ?

http://developer.xojo.com/2018r11-release-notes

What do you mean here ?

[quote=390134:@Emile Schwarz]@Ben:
Have you read the Xojo 2018r1.1 Release Notes ?

http://developer.xojo.com/2018r11-release-notes

What do you mean here ?[/quote]

I hadn’t read the release notes because I hadn’t planned on purchasing a new license at the moment.

Shot in the dark really. I wondered if there was a major contributing factor to the results in 2018 that perhaps could involve a change in a Windows setting to see similar results in older versions.

It looks like a spoke too soon. I had been comparing Blank/New projects to Blank New projects from version to version. That’s when I saw the difference in 2018 r1.1. I just opened my existing project in 2018 and the slow down is as bad there as it is in any other version. Any thoughts?

I’m having the same problems for Monti’s since I installed Win10 on my MacBook Pro.
Rebooting helps, for some time, and only a little.

I think Xojo devs aren’t using The editor for developing their own editor on Win10. It.s almost unuseable. Threads like this pop up every few weeks. Nothing structural changes.

I’ve had an open ticket in about this since 18 March 2018, the last update on it was on the 29 May 2018, it looks like Xojo are still looking into the issue and they are aware of it.

I’ve asked for the ticket to be made public as it is only visible to pre-release testers are the moment even though the issue is now in the release version. I’ll let you know when its public so perhaps we can add more information to the ticket to help narrow down the issues.

<https://xojo.com/issue/51649>

Thanks Robin, its public now.

[quote=390277:@]I’ve had an open ticket in about this since 18 March 2018, the last update on it was on the 29 May 2018, it looks like Xojo are still looking into the issue and they are aware of it.

I’ve asked for the ticket to be made public as it is only visible to pre-release testers are the moment even though the issue is now in the release version. I’ll let you know when its public so perhaps we can add more information to the ticket to help narrow down the issues.

<https://xojo.com/issue/51649>[/quote]
Thanks, Julian. Did it come on rather suddenly for you as well? Or was it very gradual? I’ve been thinking about rolling back some windows updates to see if that has an effect.

So just in case someone else comes through here looking for a solution. I seem to have found one, maybe…? I had changed several different things but I THINK the thing that did it was under power options. I went through and turned off anything that lowered speed in favor of better power consumption. Now, I did some other things at the same time (I was trying to optimize for a game :)) but I think this is what did it. The reason I think that it was the power options is because after Windows pushes an update, my power options seem to be undone (of course). Even though when I go through the options they all appear as I set them, going through and pressing OK/Save or whatever appears to reset them to optimize performance and the issue in the IDE stops. I think I’ve seen this two updates in a row now.