Icon for Windows app - one res overwrites other res

This issue has plagued me for years, and I don’t know if I am doing something wrong.
I an icon set for a new app - at all resolutions: 512, 256, 128, 48, 32, 16.
I use Illustrator to create the icons, and I export them for web to get the .png with transparency for all resolutions.
I drop each res file into the appropriate location in the IDE for the app.icon (i drop them into the review tab, and image and mask are created from there).
So far so good - but now here is the problem…

When I drop the 48x48 icon into its slot, it overwrites what I dropped into the 32x32 and 16x16 slots.
When I drop the 16x16 into its slot, it overwrites what I dropped into the 32x32 and 48x48 slot.
Similarly 32x32 overwrites 16x16.

So I am finding no way to have each of these sizes contain the icon that is designed for that specific size.

Is this expected? Am I missing something?

[quote=158437:@Mark Pastor]This issue has plagued me for years, and I don’t know if I am doing something wrong.
I an icon set for a new app - at all resolutions: 512, 256, 128, 48, 32, 16.
I use Illustrator to create the icons, and I export them for web to get the .png with transparency for all resolutions.
I drop each res file into the appropriate location in the IDE for the app.icon (i drop them into the review tab, and image and mask are created from there).
So far so good - but now here is the problem…

When I drop the 48x48 icon into its slot, it overwrites what I dropped into the 32x32 and 16x16 slots.
When I drop the 16x16 into its slot, it overwrites what I dropped into the 32x32 and 48x48 slot.
Similarly 32x32 overwrites 16x16.

So I am finding no way to have each of these sizes contain the icon that is designed for that specific size.

Is this expected? Am I missing something?[/quote]

I am sorry, I prepared png pictures each sporting it’s size, and cannot reproduce what you are describing. Each size stays nicely into it’s slot. 2014R3.1

Wow, that is interesting. I assumed there is something on my side since I haven’t heard any chatter about this issue, but it has existed for me for all versions of Xojo over the years, including my current 2014r3.1

Do a test with a completely new project, either it is happening or it’s not. I can’t think of anything that you’d do “wrong”.

That is exactly what I did in this 60 second video - take a look.
link text

It is actually happening on his system. Amazing. He drops a 16x16 png over the 16 slot, and it populates all sizes up to 512.

I had never seen this. I even have apps in which the 16x16 icon is extremely different, to obtain a better rendition at that small point size.

There seems to be no easy workaround, since the icons are not accessible in code.

I would really love finding out what is different on Mark system that creates that phenomenon, so it can be curbed. But without being able to reproduce the bug, I do not see how we could track the issue.

I just submitted a feedback case as well.
<https://xojo.com/issue/37701>

As I said previously, this issue has plagued me for years on different computers, different versions of Windows, and different versions of RB and Xojo. I wonder if the way I am creating the icons is causing the problem (though I have no idea how it would do that). If anyone has a set of icons images that work for them that I can test with, that would be an interesting experiment.

Here are the pictures used to test here.

icons.zip

[quote=158636:@Michel Bujardet]Here are the pictures used to test here.

icons.zip[/quote]
Thanks - great test. Results… not so good. Same problem.
Interesting to watch:
link text

Drop them IN the frames for the icon at each size
Not just near them, not near the label which is what I see you doing in the video
Put your mouse cursor right in the middle of the framed rectangle
Really
link text

Norman, you nailed it. When a picture is dropped out of the frames, it populates all the sizes. Is this a feature ? It looks actually kind of convenient to drag the 512, and see it scaled down automatically.

[quote=158644:@Norman Palardy]Drop them IN the frames for the icon at each size
Not just near them, not near the label which is what I see you doing in the video
Put your mouse cursor right in the middle of the framed rectangle
Really
link text[/quote]
Not so fast - this is IMPOSSIBLE!
What am I missing?
The drag-box for the icons is always larger than the boxes for icon buckets 48-pixels and lower. There is no way to do this for the smaller sizes - is there?

Take a look:

OH!!! Never mind - the key was put the “cursor” centered to the bucket. Got it! That works. Thanks so much guys - that was confusing as heck.

Dragging to the area between panes lets you drag in an ICNS file and it will try to pull in all the resolutions in there.
If its a single image file it will populate all panes with scaled versions.
It been that way since about 2012

Right - the mouse pointer is what needs to be in side that frame rectangle and then you can drag in one image at a time to each size.
The drag rect is irrelevant

[quote=158649:@Norman Palardy]Dragging to the area between panes lets you drag in an ICNS file and it will try to pull in all the resolutions in there.
If its a single image file it will populate all panes with scaled versions.
It been that way since about 2012[/quote]

I have used RB and Xojo all these years without ever knowing it was possible to drag a picture out of the boxes and have it populate all sizes. This should be mentioned in the documentation.

this only came into being about 2012 or so
before that you had to drag in images one at a time

[quote=158659:@Norman Palardy]this only came into being about 2012 or so
before that you had to drag in images one at a time[/quote]

I never knew it existed…

Just took a quick peek through the User Guide Fundamentals book and it doesn’t look like it mentions it

It was really mostly to make importing an entire ICNS file easy since there are lots of nice external editors for ICNS files