“I was feeling insecure” with the IDE

I already stated that I am feeling insecure while trying to code with Xojo’s IDE.

Here’s an example. I was searching the Sort Event but I do not found it.

Okay, today I was a bit… walking beside my shoes ! Also, I was watching TV while trying to do something in the IDE.

But, after some times, I noticed that the Add Event Handler… how do I say that ? Watch the screen shot…

Yes, I know: The selected row in the Navigation part is LB.KeyDown and the IDE want to add an event to the wMain Window.

Now, I’m going to the park and try to find if there is still any bird on this cloudy Thursday in Strasbourg, France.

PS: I clicked in Cancel, re-click in the + button and get the same kind of result (same image).

i don’t think there is Sort event for window.

I know there is a SortColumn event on the listbox

You might think that adding an event to an object would do just that, but you haven’t selected the listbox - you’ve selected an event of the listbox which is not the listbox but the window (???) Confuses me too - not too logical. Sorry Wall.

And just in case you didn’t understand all of that not being a native English speaker - I agree - it’s nuts. I think a feature request is appropriate.

The real problem is in the image: the selected object in the Navigation pane is ListBox.KeyDown, so asking to add an event HAVE TO GO To THE LISTBOX, not to the window.
[thus the sentence with “insecure”]

Sorry, I hope this is clear now.

No feature request needed: I only select the LB entry, then back to LB.KeyDown and the event goes to the ListBox !

This is clearly a bug (that does not crash anyone).

This suggests that the IDE works like this: When you ask it to add a new event handler and the currently selected item (another event handler in this case) is not something an event handler could be added to, the IDE assumes you are referring the last item selected that could receive events. Originally that was the window, now after you have clicked LB it is the listbox, even when you re-select LB.KeyDown again. You did expect the IDE to traverse the hierarchy in such a case and add an event handler to the first item found that could receive events; this would be the listbox in both cases. I agree this is a reasonable expectation and if you made a feature request I would support it.

Not a bug. An expectation that isn’t met. A FR is an appropriate response.

Michael:
I closed the first time and ask to add a new event and falled on the same trap. The Add Event goes to the LB only when I clicked in that entry. Then all following tries goes fine.

Remember:this does not crash ? this will get low attention…

[quote=126866:@Wayne Golding]You might think that adding an event to an object would do just that, but you haven’t selected the listbox - you’ve selected an event of the listbox which is not the listbox but the window (???) Confuses me too - not too logical. Sorry Wall.

And just in case you didn’t understand all of that not being a native English speaker - I agree - it’s nuts. I think a feature request is appropriate.[/quote]

we can’t add a new event if you have your cursor on an existing event of the control. BUT you can certainly add the new event from the drop down menu and it will go to the correct place which is the control

I only know that without a feature request it will get no attention at all.

[quote=126834:@Emile Schwarz]I already stated that I am feeling insecure while trying to code with Xojo’s IDE.

Here’s an example. I was searching the Sort Event but I do not found it.
[/quote]
What version are you using ?
In 2014r2.1 I can’t make this happen like your image shows

<https://xojo.com/issue/35212>

[quote=127015:@Norman Palardy]What version are you using ?
In 2014r2.1 I can’t make this happen like your image shows[/quote]

It happens randomly, just like getting the dialog with no Events to choose from…

[quote=127015:@Norman Palardy]What version are you using ?
In 2014r2.1 I can’t make this happen like your image shows[/quote]
OS X 10.9.4
Xojo 2014r2.1

It was displaying my screen shot (done on the first time) consistantly until I click into LB (in the navigation pane). Then, it worked normally (tells me it will add an event to the LB as I expected).