I/O exception on RHEL 5.x R6+ ok

We have a program that collects data from Linux systems. It works fine on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.0 and later, but fails with an “I/O handling exception” on various 5.x releases. The RBGUIFramework.so module in the Xojo Linux lib is calling something whose name starts with ‘glib2’. It (the glib2 module) is apparently at release level 2.22.5-7. (I’m getting all of this second-hand, so bear with me.)

Here are my questions:

• Do Xojo Linux programs carry a release restriction?
  • If so, is there a way to support older releases?
  • Could I bypass the problem by compiling my program with one of the RB releases I still have hanging around? (Assuming that would even be possible.)
  • Is it possible that it would work if the RBGUIFramework.so from Xojo were replaced with one from the Linux Lib of an earlier (RB) version of the same program?

Not sure what you mean ?

If and only if those older systems can meet the minimum requirements if you want to use the latest release
http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/System_requirements
If you have older versions of Xojo / REAL Studio you may be able to support older system but then there are som significant differences between version of Xojo / Real Studio

[quote=93602:@Roland Foster] - Could I bypass the problem by compiling my program with one of the RB releases I still have hanging around? (Assuming that would even be possible.)
[/quote]
Possibly

[quote=93602:@Roland Foster]

• Is it possible that it would work if the RBGUIFramework.so from Xojo were replaced with one from the Linux Lib of an earlier (RB) version of the same program?[/quote]
    Binary compatibility issues would probably prevent this from working
    So unlikely I’ll flat out say no

Further info from the source:
glib2-2.12.3-4.el5_3.1.i386.rpm is the standard version for 5.x
while glib2-2.22.5-7.el6.2.i686.rpm is the standard version for 6.x

Until / unless you can upgrade glib on the older 5.5 system things likely won’t work unless you compile with an older version of Xojo that has a different requirement for glib

Thanks.

Can you tell me how far I will have to go back in the archives for a version of RB that will support Red Hat R5 systems? I tried 2012R2.1 and it still doesn’t work.

Off the top of my head I don’t know

Norman, thanks. I went back to 2011r4.3 and that worked fine. Not only that, I am impressed and thankful about two things:
(1) I found I can go to the archives and download any version of Real Studio for which I had a license. This was very helpful - I just downloaded and installed 2011r4.3 without a hitch.
(2) I also found that I could take the Xojo project file – my latest updates to the program – and recompile it with 2011r4.3. I got a warning that some things might get lost, and in fact I did have to regress to a deprecated property in a few cases, but it worked.
Thanks to some thoughtful Real Software developers, I was able to come up with a solution to this problem without a lot of effort.