I like this forum because...

This forum is so refreshingly helpful. I spend a lot of my time doing PHP development rather than Xojo although I do work on Xojo too. PHP developers tend to use stack overflow a lot. The people on there are so aggressive. I have just read a few queries by people this evening and you notice on stack overflow the first thing people do is attack the OP for there question. It is almost comical. Some examples:

OP Query was: What I want to do make the “i++” part add by two and not one, but how do I do this? Please help!

First few answers were:

You may want to spend a little time getting a basic understanding about how flow statements like for work (and PHP code in general). This is a pretty trivial question. – mellamokb May 24 '12 at 20:57
Yes, I understand that this question was pretty basic, but I wanted to make sure that I got it correct because I didn’t want to end up with an infinite loop. Something like it happened to me before, and I don’t want to risk another chance. I always have to ask the pros at SOF. :slight_smile: – S17514 May 24 '12 at 21:11

@Gokhan137 How about you start accepting the answers to your questions. – JimmyBanks May 24 '12 at 21:44

For gods sake, just answer the poor man. Someone could have answered the question in less words than they spend criticising the OP.

The actual answer was so straight forward “for ($i=0; $i<=($num_newlines - 1); $i+=2) {”…

Have a read it makes you laugh. Even post a question. Its worth it just to see the terrible attitude of some of the responders.

I would say it’s the members of the community that make it so helpful. It’s small enough where most of us ‘know’ each other so it feels a little like family.

And like most families we’re not beyond arguing occasionally. :slight_smile:

True, but Bob I have seen you on Stack Overflow. You don’t respond in the way most do on there. Perhaps Xojo folk are just more reserved…

Bob…since we are a family and all… can I borrow the car? :smiley:

I figure that the person I respond to is simply a prospective client that I haven’t met yet. It’s happened more than once so it pays (for me, anyway) to as nice as I can. I have been known to start a flame war or two but I try to be reasonable in most things.

Sounds to me like you should give this feedback to the StackOverflow folks.

No. Go to your room. And don’t come out until you’ve finished a PDF renderer. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to read the responses… be sure to post the link Mike. :slight_smile:

No - its a truck :stuck_out_tongue:

I finished it 6 weeks ago… but nobody seemed to have remained interested…

we’ll see how much interest (if any) my source code printer will garner :slight_smile:

Johnny, Had a few. All excuses from what I can see. Just makes me laugh how people will spend more time moaning than helping the original post:

http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/223289/many-aggressive-or-non-helpful-answers

I did not know it was actually finished. Sorry.

[quote=68008:@Bob Keeney]I would say it’s the members of the community that make it so helpful. It’s small enough where most of us ‘know’ each other so it feels a little like family.

And like most families we’re not beyond arguing occasionally. :)[/quote]

and it is nice to finally meet people on the forum at the conference like XDC

[quote=68058:@Dave S]I finished it 6 weeks ago… but nobody seemed to have remained interested…

we’ll see how much interest (if any) my source code printer will garner :)[/quote]

sorry dave… was so busy lately… where is the link for your pdf renderer ?? have no idea it is finish

How about the source printer? Finished yet? Can I buy it?

[quote=68072:@Mike Charlesworth]Johnny, Had a few. All excuses from what I can see. Just makes me laugh how people will spend more time moaning than helping the original post:

http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/223289/many-aggressive-or-non-helpful-answers[/quote]

Thanks for posting the link Mike. The thread was more civil that I expected it to be. Those that reply to threads with needless complaining about a question does nothing more than pollute the thread. I do agree that many don’t try to research a question before posting, but I don’t feel that’s the case with most basic questions.

I always see where someone will ask a question just to be followed by a… RTFM. I’ve also seen where someone would reply and explain it to the OP in a much better way than TFM.

Two thumbs up to those that are willing to take their time and share their knowledge to help others that just don’t grasp the manual.

It’s funny, my response has always been to answer the simple questions because they are, you know, simple. But if the same poster keeps asking simple questions, I eventually stop, not criticize them. The best encouragement to do your own research is a lack of answers.

Sometimes I have senior moments. Or I can’t find something. Or I managed to confuse myself. For this I need to ask simple questions. If someones asks the same question again and again then I ignore this, too.

Does anyone remember the guy from the NUG who asked the same question 10 times? Brian something???

Yes. Yes I do.

One of the reasons that people get so mean at SOF may have to do with anonymity. Is it not so easy to be bluntly rash when nobody knows who you are ?

Uhmmm - isn’t it supposedly the other way round?