I hate the new documentation

I just wanted to quickly check if picture.horizontalresolution is read only.

I searched for Picture.horizontalresolution but got no hits.

I searched for horizontalresolution and got an unhelpful hit.

I searched for Picture and its documentation is useless.

I gave up in disgust and searched the old docs. There. Got it immediately.

Until now I never noticed how useless the new documentation is for actually working with it.

+1

In fact I use Dash all the time.

The new docs are exceptionally good for the new framework, the old docs work really well for the old framework. So I’m going to assume this is a wetware issue :wink:

[quote=269152:@Markus Winter]
Until now I never noticed how useless the new documentation is for actually working with it.[/quote]

Which set ?
Online ?
The local set in the IDE ? if so in what versions of the IDE ?

[quote=269153:@Massimo Valle]+1

In fact I use Dash all the time.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure dash doesn’t include all the docs.

documentation.xojo.com - I love it but maybe that’s because I’m used to it.
developer.xojo.com - I cannot find anything. Hardly examples and somehow I can’t get used to the way how it’s setup.
local IDE 2016r1 help - I start to like it but I miss a quicker way to get there and Cmd-F doesn’t work. (Oh, and my pictures don’t work)

Having 2 sets of documentation is about as useful as having 2 frameworks. I know that documentation is a lot of work. But what is wrong with documentation.xojo.com?

You are probably true, but for 99% of cases it works, it’s faster and very effective.

I was on the iPad and used the online one.

When I’m on my Mac I use Dash, so I never noticed how useless the new documentation is.

Not sure if there is a new dash docset BUT I am sure the old one does not include all the docs.
A new set produced from the 2016r1 would be more inclusive although not 100% complete as there were some omissions & oversights reported against the local docs after r1 went out.

Again not sure if a set has been produced from this local set but it would be more comprehensive & cover both old & new frameworks.

I always use the on-line documentation. And only use the new documentation when necessary.

Can’t say “I hate it”, I just ignore it and hope it will improve(usable) with age.

[quote=269173:@Markus Winter]I was on the iPad and used the online one.

When I’m on my Mac I use Dash, so I never noticed how useless the new documentation is.[/quote]
Perhaps they’ve already tweaked the docs because I just tried the same searches at developer.xojo.com and in the built-in LR (currently set to search the built-in docs) and I got useful results each time.

Dash has the old and web frameworks. It’d be nice to get the new documentation format into Dash.

Gary Pettet wrote an app to generate the dash doc set once upon a time with some help about the db structure from me
Some mishap meant he didn’t have those any more so I had a copy & sent it to him a while back
That is about the last I heard

The new LR Db structure IS different so the old code wont work