HTTPSocket download speed vs Firefox or Safari ?

I found the download speed of HTTPSocket slow, when comparing with Firefox or Safari.

Is this statement true or do I miscode something ?

Firefox or Safari could be using multi-threading, which makes the faster (multiple sockets download different chunks).

[quote=181631:@Emile Schwarz]I found the download speed of HTTPSocket slow, when comparing with Firefox or Safari.

Is this statement true or do I miscode something ?[/quote]

Can’t comment on the comms in the new framework but the comms in the normal framework (whatever it is called now) aren’t very efficient. We switched our HTTP & FTP comms to CURL via MBS and obtained a much better throughput at a lower CPU overhead. The plug-in can also run the comms on a separate pre-emptive thread so that they can run in the background.

I think this is one area that would benefit being able to use pre-emptive threads within Xojo.

Kevin,

Isn’t curl callable directly from Xojo ?

I used curl in the terminal (OS X) long time ago, but doing so manually was really boring !

Thank you all for your kind answers.

[quote=181872:@Emile Schwarz]Kevin,

Isn’t curl callable directly from Xojo ?

I used curl in the terminal (OS X) long time ago, but doing so manually was really boring !

Thank you all for your kind answers.[/quote]

You can call the curl command line app directly from Xojo via the shell. Depending on what you need to do, this might be good enough. The MBS plug-in allows you to use libcurl which is more powerful and doesn’t really on curl being installed (the curl command line app is just an app to control libcurl).

OSX Example to Download with Curl (with ProgressBar)
For Windows change the curl path in btnDL.Action