HTMLViewer hard crashes, and I didn't even load a webpage yet.

So I’ve been working on a control that lets you get and set html from rich text using all of your favorite commands from TextArea. It’s coming along quite nicely and works flawlessly on Mac. But when the tester tried it on Windows it hard crashed immediately. To confirm I booted up Windows today, and it hard crashes on all three 2014r3 releases before anything is even loaded into the HTMLViewer.

The HTMLViewer is in a ContainerControl, but I know that works because there’s a HTMLViwer in a ContainerControl in Answers and that doesn’t crash miserably when opened. The HTMLViewer renderer is set to WebKit. All I know about the crash is below, and it involves Browser Plugin.dll

This is the crash log from Windows 8.1 Pro, but it also fails on Windows 7

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	DebugHTML Edit.exe
  Application Version:	1.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	54b4134a
  Fault Module Name:	Browser Plugin.dll
  Fault Module Version:	14.3.3.1
  Fault Module Timestamp:	54b4131a
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00001a61
  OS Version:	6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	5861
  Additional Information 2:	5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
  Additional Information 3:	3a20
  Additional Information 4:	3a20a93c34687143a5bf7d33f1cf3ccc

Does anyone have any ideas, clues, or anything to help? This html edit control is really quite neat, and I’d like for it to work on Windows…
I can’t submit a feedback request, I don’t have time to wait for someone at Xojo to stumble across this, see there’s an issue, and dismiss it without fixing.

On Windows, by default, HTMLViewer runs an IE8 version. You can control that with http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/ee330730(v=vs.85).aspx This might help?

Also: http://www.realsoftwareblog.com/2011/01/changing-htmlviewer-rendering-mode-on.html

I have the HTMLViewer set to use WebKit. I still can’t figure out what the problem is as it crashes just by being present, nothing is even loaded yet.

Oops - I didn’t read carefully. Nevermind!

Oh my. I think I just found it.
It seems to be any time ExecuteJavaScript occurs. Even though I’ve given the container control no commands it’s doing something weird. I’ve set up a did initialize variable, and if I check it before using ExecuteJavaScript it protects it from this weird bug.

I repeat, I was not doing anything at all and simply because ExecuteJavaScript was in a method the HTMLViewer hard crashed.

Going to protect them all, and try again. Hopefully this is it.

Hello from Windows.
Here to confirm that once all the ExecuteJavaScripts were protected by the didFinishLoading variable that everything is in working order. Still confused as to why it caused a problem even when I hadn’t made any calls to any method using ExecuteJavaScript. But oh well - it’s fixed.

Thank you for your help, Michael.

Tim, if you have a chance to report the crash in Feedback.app I’m sure everyone would benefit.

Just of interest. If you have your own web Server. What web agent are shown in your access log file when you use WebKit from Mac and Windows. Are the web agent the same ?