How to YOU indicate data entry errors to the user

Red flashing ? Is this War Games ?

Think at oldsters: what will they feel with a flashing Red in front of their eyes ?

Julian answer have my preference (instead of mine who was an Error Reporting Label at the window bottom and a beep, eventually).

Entering dates:
I do not liked that too much, but in a project where the user enter birth (death and other dates), I use three PopupMenus:
a. Day # (1 thru 31 max),
b. Month #/Name (I forgot, 12 entries),
c. Year (here lies the implementation limit (100 entries: a centurystarting the current year [2019] and ending 100 years ago [1918]).

I used a Date Picker Control for an Agenda date selector, but I have no feedback from the oldsters what they prefer.

[quote=446401:@Emile Schwarz]Red flashing ? Is this War Games ?

Think at oldsters: what will they feel with a flashing Red in front of their eyes ?[/quote]

That’s a bit over the top…

We “oldsters” prefer what anybody prefers. We want to know where and what we did wrong and how we can do better. :wink:
How i make my users aware of an issue depends on the kind of App and Context, not how “old” they may be. :smiley:

I forgot to give details on the oldsters: usually over 70 y/o, and no computer knowledge.

They are doing things like any other people, but things have to be as simple as possible else they start to reject the software and hardware.

Real experience from the field (benevolent persons in a charity association). There are no differences (in that context) between men and women.

Of course, once they are well trained they fall into your last sentence above category.

All is fine @Emile Schwarz
I just found it funny and wanted to respond. :wink:

Back to Topic :slight_smile: