How to run Linux build in Mint?

Running Xojo in Windows 7.
Just installed Mint, built one of my Xojo apps for Linux and copied it across but can’t run it.
A couple of years ago when I was usung Ubuntu, I learned that to run an .exe built for Linux I had to open Properties and tick ‘Allow to run as .exe’ (or some such wording). It doesn’t work now in Mint. After changing Properties as abobe, I double click the app. and nothing happens.

Can anyone please tell me what else I have to do?

1. Does your Linux include 32-bit runtime libraries ?
  2. Does your Linux has glibc >= v2.7 ?

I’m afraid that you might be trying to run the Windows application (EXE) on Linux. If that’s the case, it won’t work.

From Xojo, make sure that you check the box to build for Linux (and any other platforms you want to test on).
Copy the files from “{path to YourProject}/{YourProject}/Builds-{YourProject}/Linux/{YourProject}” over to your LinuxMint VM
Make sure that the application {YourProject} is marked as “Executable” by right+clicking on it from the file manager, go to the ‘Permissions’ tab and make sure that “Allow this file to run as program” is checked.

If this doesn’t do the trick, then we can check what the messages are when attemptint to run the program from the terminal.

And remember, the Remote Debugger allows you to develop on one platform (Windows in your case), but run the app in debug mode on another (Linux in this case). It is much easier than copying builds around.

Seems he is exporting from Windows to Linux. Zip your built pack and send it to Linux. Unpack it where it will belong (e.g. /opt/myprogram/). Do the execution attributions as Kevin said.

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry at this…

https://forum.xojo.com/11037-remotedebuggerconsole-linux/p1#p79686
https://forum.xojo.com/10119-remote-debugging-on-linux

I don’t know how to answer that, but many, many people successfully use the Linux Remote Debugger (myself included). I am hopeful any problems you are having are resolved soon.

[quote=80125:@John Sunderland]Running Xojo in Windows 7.
Just installed Mint, built one of my Xojo apps for Linux and copied it across but can’t run it.
A couple of years ago when I was usung Ubuntu, I learned that to run an .exe built for Linux I had to open Properties and tick ‘Allow to run as .exe’ (or some such wording). It doesn’t work now in Mint. After changing Properties as abobe, I double click the app. and nothing happens.

Can anyone please tell me what else I have to do?[/quote]

Sounds like you are trying to run your Windows build under Wine. Don’t do it. You can build natively for Linux and you will get better results.

No I am not trying to run a Windows build either via Wine or otherwise. (Although that does, in fact, work perfectly). Please let’s try to get this clear -

I am running Xojo in Windows 7. I have built FOR LINUX and copied the build to my new install of Mint. It does not run when I check
“Allow this file to run as program”. I expect to do this for a number of Xojo-built-for-Linux apps when I can get it to work as it should.

This worked perfectly well when I did it in the same way from RealBasic running in Windows XP on my older machine and copying to the Ubuntu OS which I had at that time. Now it doesn’t work. I don’t know whether the problem is in Xojo or Mint.

Someone mentioned LinuxMintVM. Does this mean Virtual Machine? If so, I am not running a virtual machine, I have dual boot Windows 7/Linux Mint in separate partitions, the latter being recently installed.

I have tried zipping it for transport as opposed to copying it across. It makes no difference, as I expected.

I can’t see why using remote debugger should be easier and it is not relevant. Is this a suggestion that it doesn’t matter if Xojo can’t build for Linux? I must say that I have had the feeling that RealBasic has lost its way a little more at every upgrade. (I have used it since 2005)

Guy Rabiller -

[quote] Does your Linux include 32-bit runtime libraries ?
Does your Linux has glibc >= v2.7 ?[/quote]
I don’t know. Can you please explain how I can find out (searching my Mint installation does not recognise these terms) and how it is relevant?

No problem, your comment about .exe just raised a red flag for me is all.

Are you running a 64bit install? If you are you need to look at the “64-bit and Library Information” section of this page:
http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/System_requirements

Also try running your program from the command prompt. That way you will see what errors are being reported.

[quote=80245:@John Sunderland]Guy Rabiller -
I don’t know. Can you please explain how I can find out (searching my Mint installation does not recognise these terms) and how it is relevant?[/quote]
It is relevant because Xojo produces 32-bit executables and on Linux those executables rely on glibc v2.7+.

If you go to the Linux Mint official download page you will notice you can download a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version. Which one do you use ?

If you use the 64-bit version, then you will probably have to execute something like:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

to install the 32-bit runtime libraries.

If you use one of the latest Linux Mint package you should have a glibc far higher than v2.7 so you should be find on this side.

John,

To summarize what others have stated here -

• Xojo does build for Linux systems (Distro doesn’t really matter), and each version has gotten better for quite a few new releases.
  • However, Xojo only builds 32bit applications.
  • If you are running a 64bit Linux distribution, it expects that the applications that you try to run are ALSO 64bit binaries.
  • To resolve this conflict - running 32bit Xojo apps on 64bit Linux - you need to install the 32bit libraries for your Linux distribution so that your Linux distro can run both 64bit AND 32bit applications.

For a Mint system, (as Guy outlines) you would use:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Once you have down this and rebooted for sanity sake, you should be able to execute any Xojo-built Linux app on your Mint system.

To quote an old Unix Admin adage - “Unix/Linux IS user friendly. It’s just very picky about who it considers a friend.”

Thank you folks, now running successfully with the 32bit libs.
Best regards
Bernard