How to make a database application - step by step example

I want to make a database application who managing clients, contracts, patients, examinations, invoices, etc.
It is possible with Xojo, in an easy way?

How would you define easy?
Just drag and drop without any code? No.

For me “Easy” means “drag and drop” and some code for events, validations, etc.

[quote=13766:@Aurel Vlase]I want to make a database application who managing clients, contracts, patients, examinations, invoices, etc.
It is possible with Xojo, in an easy way?[/quote]

If you are looking for drag and drop solutions to create your forms. I would suggest your are using “Base” in LibreOffice: https://www.libreoffice.org/ You can even find some example how to create a user interface to the database from Libreoffice on the internet

Here is some examples: http://www.floppybunny.org/robin/web/virtualclassroom/othcourses.htm

Xojo is not a difficult language to learn, it might looks overwhelm if it’s first time you approach such kind of development language. Only thing I can say if you still want to continue in this direction. Don’t give up, continue practice with small examples. Start writing some "console " examples with no use of events, that way it might not look so overwhelm. Then later move to desktop or web

Libreoffice Base does it run well for a web database application with MySQL server?

Well LibreOffice is a desktop application. But they are working on making LibreOffice for web, like Google office.

It’s still in early stage and it comes not by default when you download Libreoffice. You have to compiled it yourself.

Here is a link how to do it: Using LibreOffice in a Web Browser - The Document Foundation Wiki

And here is a video link how it’s works from a web browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVR7HqDokmA

Specifically I want a desktop database application with MySQL server and internet acess, security, role base access.

Unfortunately I haven tested Libreoffice on the web yet, so I don’t know how far they are with security access. Some part you might be able to from your web server

Directly accessing a database server over the Internet is not recommended, if you want it secure. Even with SSL, which the MySQL-client in Xojo supports. So for a Desktop Application i think you also need a service layer on the Web Server, which handles the communication with the clients and has local access to the database server. Of course this makes it more complicated. What are you programming skills, which languages do you know well?

best
Thomas

[quote]I want to make a database application who managing clients, contracts, patients, examinations, invoices, etc.
It is possible with Xojo, in an easy way?[/quote]

Even for the seasoned developer this would not be an easy task. You also have to think about patient confidentiality, security, encryption amongst many other things including socket level programming etc.

Through perseverance I am sure you would be able to achieve this but there will be a steep learning curve. If you are looking to implement something fairly easily and quickly then why not opt for one of the open source medical practice management application’s such as openEMR.

OpenEMR Medical

Thanks everyone, you are very kind.

I think I should keep looking for desired medical application to buy. So far I have not found it.

[quote=13802:@Aurel Vlase]Thanks everyone, you are very kind.

I think I should keep looking for desired medical application to buy. So far I have not found it.[/quote]

You keep asking the same question, in different ways, repeatedly in the forums. People are trying to help you but you need to understand that Xojo requires coding and knowledge. This is unavoidable.

For most of us, what it requires is worth the time and effort to learn, in the same way the price is worth it if you wan to compile standalone applications, but if you want free no-code web databases that connect to MySQL and provide all security features you’re probably out of luck not only using Xojo but at all.

Hi Aurel Vlase,
This is a free medical software
 I wrote it, with RealStudio.
http://lennoxjacob.wix.com/obgynok#!downloads
You can try it and let me know.
If you need assistance you can contact me via email
Lennox

“Directly accessing a database server over the Internet is not recommended, … for a Desktop Application i think you also need a service layer on the Web Server”

I have heard of this. I have a MySQL database I access directly on the internet. I know a WE app running on the server would be more secure because I could limit access to itself, but has anyone done this with Xojo for a desktop app and could they describe the technique? Could you create a WE app that accepted queries via the web server and pass back the results somehow?

What is “WE app”?

If you are in the US
 or your customers are in the US and you create certain types of medical/patient related software, they MUST meet all published HIPAA [Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act] requirements or you and/or your customer could be liable for fines and other penalties.

Romania.

Aurel,

After reading your questions and responses, you are using a cart before the horse approach. As, as Dave mentioned, software for Medical purposes has ALOT of rules and regulations depending on your market & country. There is ALOT of liability involved when it comes to patient safety concerns and I am sure the LAST thing you want on your plate is getting sued.

Moving forward, I highly recommend that before you attempt to make the application you are seeking, that you put it on hold and start with the basics.

Step 1 - Read the Xojo tutorials (http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Main_Page)

Step 2 - Look at the Xojo example projects and understand the logic in how they are made.

Step 3 - Give it a shot and start writing code. If you get stuck, post us your code and we all will be happy to provide feedback.

Step 4 - Have fun.

Understand that the Xojo community is an AMAZING group of people that are willing to help each other; however, you need to start showing that you are attempting to learn rather than asking for others to write your code for you.

“Xojo community is an AMAZING group of people” indeed.
But I will leave.

[quote=14150:@Aurel Vlase]“Xojo community is an AMAZING group of people” indeed.
But I will leave.[/quote]

No one ever stated you have to leave
 and if anything, are providing a lot of great feedback to your questions.

What I am recommending is that you take a different approach by starting with the basics. As you feel more comfortable with that level, you progress to the next stage.