How to implement Plugin-style framework in Xojo web development?

I’m trying to develop a web project with xojo web.Around a major web project, days later, I will build more Plugins for it.
I want to separate the Plugins from the major system. So that when I build a new plugin, I don’t have to combine whole my project or break my major project down to update new plugin.

How to implement Plugin-style framework in Xojo web development?
I think a Plugin-style framework will benefit most xojo web project.
But how can I achieve it? I need some advice.
I am looking forward to your reply and guidance.
Thanks in advice.

There are a few general ways to approach this:

1. XojoScript. The thing to remember here is that if you’re invoking scripts from event handlers, you’re tying up the server until they finish.

2. Console helper apps, directly invoked. Similar issue to XojoScript.

3. Database-driven multiple applications. This is the typical approach taken for apps that need to email a lot. Offload emailing to another console/web app that periodically polls for work to do in the database.

[quote=108125:@Brad Hutchings]There are a few general ways to approach this:

1. XojoScript. The thing to remember here is that if you’re invoking scripts from event handlers, you’re tying up the server until they finish.

2. Console helper apps, directly invoked. Similar issue to XojoScript.

3. Database-driven multiple applications. This is the typical approach taken for apps that need to email a lot. Offload emailing to another console/web app that periodically polls for work to do in the database.[/quote]
    That are good ideas :slight_smile: I’ll try.

[quote=108131:@?? ?]That are good ideas :slight_smile: I’ll try.
[/quote]

The third one is really the best :-).

@B[quote=108138:@Brad Hutchings]The third one is really the best :-).[/quote]

I am the ?? ?'s boss.

Our target, is that build a major-project(XOJO Web) and server plugin-projects(XOJ WEB), those Plugin projects may contains interface classes , business logic classes, web pages, images and styles( The Plugin project must have some WebPages) …

Could Your three type can all implement it?

And I don’t now Thrid-one type ‘Email’ is what mean, could you give more details?

A full discussion of a complex system architecture isn’t going to fit in a forum post, so this is just basic directional advice.

Compiled Xojo apps don’t have what most would consider a traditional plug-in architecture. There have been a few third party attempts to create one, but they’re generally misguided “hacks” from the start because those third parties don’t have access to the details of the Xojo runtime.

But you can think about the problem a little bit differently. If your web app uses a relational database or some other multi-user data storage system – most do – you could accomplish what looks and feels like an “extendable plugion architecture” by having multiple web applications. Each of these applications gets process input communicated through the database. The user may feel like he’s in one app, but is handed from app to app in the browser window to accomplish tasks.

Hope that helps.

I have a single class which could do plugins for you. Simulanics SimScript has received much guff here in the forums because it allows dynamic interfaces and code to be executed. But, Geoff has given permission to developers to use the class to extend their software as long as the developer is not giving the end user permission or the ability to create standalone software (violation of the EULA). You can test its basic scripting capabilities at

http://www.xojo.us:9000
User:demo
Password:demo123

In the demo its used to create a dynamic api server. It adds capabilities that XojoScript cannot and even works seamlessly with XojoScript. If you PM me I can forward the latest webedition classes to you to test along with full documentation of usage, and numerous demos so you can see many different usages implemented.

You can search the forums for “SimScript” to learn more about Simulanics SimScript as well.

xojo.us”? For real, Matthew???

The domain is used for developer web edition testing and is not affiliated with Xojo. Many developers use the domain…

http://www.xojo.us/user/name/appname

To access their accounts. Or xojo.us:port

The domain reminds clients, of Xojo developers, that the application is developed using Xojo and for those that already know, make accessing developer pages easier to enter and remember.

Not to hijack this thread, but this “xojo.us” thing is the most horrible thing I’ve ever seen in this community. You’re glomming onto their trademark way too closely, Matthew, in a way that implies endorsement and hurts those of us who actually have ethics about such things.

Matthew sent me an unsolicited PM on this board. I’ve posted to my Twitter account. This is horrible enough, it needs to be mocked and condemned until it goes away.

Or until you receive a certified letter for slander. Numerously you’ve slandered and harassed me and numerous Xojo developers, with an uncanny number of witnesses. My “unsolicited” message was an attempt at a peaceful resolution with you to work along side you and know you to create developer resources to “help people.” Instead, you slandered me again, threatened me, and do not want to see any helpful resources created for xojo developers. I can’t believe I even considered a peaceful resolution with you to help aid developers and provide resources to them that are needed. You have a very dark energy and I will pray for you… again. New developers to the community do not want to associate with dark entities rather light bearing ones willing to help and guide them. That is also bad for business to Xojo to have you scaring people away. Unfairness on my part in businees would be to replicate all products available at Studio stable strategically (ehich would be no problem) making them free, to make SS obsolete. Don’t be evil brad…it will consume you.

You are really clueless, Matthew. I have customers here because I’m not a hack and don’t appropriate others’ work or good names. Honestly, if focussing on that would keep you busy so you don’t feel a need to cause other silly trouble, I’m all for it!

But I’m curious. Why the passive aggressive “announcement” of xojo dot us? I’m sure if you sent a press release to Dana, she’d be thrilled to announce your service that directly gloms onto their name without any modification and is clear cut trademark infringement that could be taken right to the WTO.

This hurts the community, Matthew, because it makes a widely disrespected hack (that would be you) the guardian of a whole facet of the community’s name. That’s irrespective of trademark considerations. It’s absolutely shameful behavior on your part.

Can there not be a majority of posts on the forum lately when somebody isn’t bickering, name calling, or trolling somebody else. In MY opinion, that hurts the community more than what you two are complaining about. Not that I don’t disagree with the discussion here… but it’s the way you guys are handling it. The thread needs to be locked, and the bashing and name calling needs to be addressed in a forum rule and more enforced. It’s getting to be every other post I click on lately.

Correct eric. Ive already contacted the necessary parties to resolve this issue. It has been an on-going issue with brad and numerous developers he’s harassed. This is a community of “family members”, thus why I felt obligated to contact brad to make peace with him, only for it to be an issue. I was being an adult about a childish issue he had with me, and only got a negative response out of it. As said before and ill say it again. If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it, keep it yo yourself. And if not wanting to help make developer resources for the community, a simple, “no im all set” would suffice.

I really hope the necessary parties include the owner of the Xojo registered trademark. Yeah, that’s gonna end well.

Im sure Geoff will be abhorred that you have been harassing numeroud Xojo customers. Just stop brad. Just stop. Just be peaceful with everyone. No one wants to do business with a hateful person. So stop. I’m done responding or associating with you. I see you want no peaceful resolutions with anyone and I will not waste anymore of my time or energy. Pity. I will continue to pray for you though. Goodbye.

Oh God - pleeeeeeeease…

[quote=108421:@Matthew Combatti]The domain is used for developer web edition testing and is not affiliated with Xojo. Many developers use the domain…

http://www.xojo.us/user/name/appname
[/quote]

Xojo is Xojo Inc’s trademarked name and this very likely falls outside of any kind of acceptable use as it does make it appear that you might have some official affiliation with Xojo Inc when none exists.
You really should have used a different domain name instead of one that could only serve to confuse people whether Xojo.com or xojo.us is xojo’s official site.

Maybe XojoApp.com or something

I’d expect a take down or cease & desist notice.

[quote=108485:@Norman Palardy]Xojo is Xojo Inc’s trademarked name and this very likely falls outside of any kind of acceptable use as it does make it appear that you might have some official affiliation with Xojo Inc when none exists.
You really should have used a different domain name instead of one that could only serve to confuse people whether Xojo.com or xojo.us is xojo’s official site.

Maybe XojoApp.com or something

I’d expect a take down or cease & desist notice.[/quote]

Will do thanks Norm xojoapp.com is a great name! XoomDrinks, Inc. has already made an unrefutable offer for the domain, for which they too hold a trademark for the word “Xojo”. The revenue of the sale will be used to expand services and resources for the Xojo community as always. Will notify the developers who use the test server of the name change. :slight_smile: (next business day domain ownership transfers…monday).

Or you could give Xojo first refusal in case they want it? That could be a great service to the community?