How many people would buy a "web builder" of sorts.

I’m creating a app similar to WYSIWYG Web Builder, only I’ll be using Bootstrap to ease the generation. How many of you would be interested in it @$50 with no DRM?

I would certainly try it out

Hmm. Does this violate the terms of service with Xojo? I was under the impression you cannot “code generate” with Xojo that competes at some level with WE?

I’m always interested in a WYSIWYG web page editor, I’d love to have an editor that works the way I do… Except so far I’ve been disappointed by every single one.

Here’s the common reasons why:

• Messy code generation.
  • Won’t let me position things, that I know I can do if I write the code.
  • My pages are XHTML & PHP, which messes up visual editors to no end.

Obviously I don’t know all the details of what Shane is proposing, but there’s a very good chance such a thing would conflict with our EULA. Having said that, Shane if you are really going to put energy into something like this, we should talk to make sure it’s not going to be an issue.

I believe this is the software he is referring to: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/

I’ve got a license for it and it’s great to quickly throw together a static web site, but I don’t think it is capable of creating a “web application” like WE does. Although it looks like more features have been added since I updated my license last.

I usually embed PHP scripts for dynamic content and form processing.

Perhaps it would be good to have a sort of explanation of what’s ACTUALLY possible. E.g a “html builder” or a “xojo script wrapper” such things differ but a good explanation on the website or so would be put to good use i think.

[quote=54448:@Johnny Harris]I believe this is the software he is referring to: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/

I’ve got a license for it and it’s great to quickly throw together a static web site, but I don’t think it is capable of creating a “web application” like WE does. Although it looks like more features have been added since I updated my license last.

I usually embed PHP scripts for dynamic content and form processing.[/quote]

I would be seriously insane if this is to be legally banned for a developer using xojo.
The web is all about open and “html, javascript, css, php” are all free to use for anyone under their license.
But a builder is esentially a helper tool, it’s nothing more. It generates no code just “plain text”.

As for eurpeans, there is a law that says something about “In software a monopoly is not allowed” or so.
You might find the true laws on the web. Exactly i’m not an law-book-walking-zombie but i put google to good use…:wink:

The EULA is very clear. If you are wrapping XojoScript to provide a similar experience as Xojo (i.e. using their framework as your own) that is not allowed. If you are building a tool for some other development tool you must include “Built with Xojo” logos and such.

Must is a requirement, but xojo has some more in the EULA wich states that you are free to use the software that you create.
Wich in basicly combats the advertising “requirement”.

Be clear, it’s better if they are just clear an put it on their website FAQ and have some examples of what can and can’t be done.

Using something you build for yourself and distributing it to others and profiting from it are two different things.

The basis to this restriction is that if the product competes with the functionally of Xojo and you create it with Xojo, you are in violation of the Xojo EULA.

There are many previous deep discussions and arguments over this, but they all end up boiling down to that statement.