How I Got Xojo 2013r3.3 Working in Ubuntu 13.10 64-Bit

Brian beat me to the draw - multiarch is not available for 13.10. I’m still playing with lib symlinks to see if I can resolve the unnecessary conflict between 1.0 and 3.0 versions of libwebkit in the dpkg format.

This is another example of why I’m pushing for Linux to be the focus for the first 64bit Xojo release. The distro folks are making it harder with each new release to add 32bit compatibility to the 64bit Linux platform.

@Paul Lefebvre, WebKit doesn’t work on Ubuntu 12 64 bit either. Had the same issues with dependency hell. It’s just not possible (to my knowledge) to use HTMLViewer controls on 64bit Linux.

Brian,
if you’re looking for a 32bits - beside 64b - you can always dual boot a Xunbuntu 32b Distro to keep testing … :slight_smile:
I’ve tested with success on a I5 Laptop (64b), installing make use of with Manager and that’s it. (no terminal/synapsis ever used)

• building features not tested yet/Lic $$ planned
  • Lingual and Feedback not installed yet - but Lingual targeted next for sure :slight_smile:

LC:
As for Livecode, if you target Standalone Crossplateform soft building, it seems… perfect…:slight_smile:

• and+ios…no more no mores !!! :slight_smile: hehehe
    More limited in final layout than XJ seems - but final layout may not be your priority to get the job done, hey…

if for a Server/client (i.e. Multi-clients) app building …then…there is no Group/multi-user level manager included,
you’re on your own here, same for PW Scripts against a DB. No Captcha, etc…finally, you’d end up coding/copying all that by …brain :slight_smile:
(but as a 64b tester maybe that is what you’re looking for)
All in all, It’s seems LC is was not designed as - an easy - genuine Server/Client App builder., my views
*see Dictionary and word “security level” (not preserved from previous Hypercard ver.)

still some claims to have designed Server/client system working, (*see an ink business online / not an httpS)
… hope it serves. :slight_smile:
Ericky

All of the items I originally installed seem to be needed to get LiveCode to work. Xojo just needs the synaptic stuff followed by an install of ia32-libs-multiarch. Of course, the online help and feedback apps will not work. As for now, I am playing around with Xojo and seeing how well it may work for me. Thanks.

For Ubuntu 13.10 I had to use the instructions found at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/ia32-libs-in-ubuntu-13-10 to get Xojo apps working.

Just FYI that for the documentation you can just use a web browser & visit documentation.xojo.com

Having problems getting Feedback.deb to install. Is Firestorm at above link needed? If so, which version (OpenSim or Second City)?

Running Ubuntu 13.10 (OS type = 64-bit).

I might be missing some other libraries.

Here is the message trying to install Feedback.deb:

Selecting previously unselected package xojofeedback.
(Reading database … 66774 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xojofeedback (from …/Desktop/Downloads/Feedback.deb) …
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xojofeedback:
xojofeedback depends on libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0).

dpkg: error processing xojofeedback (–install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gnome-menus …
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils …
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon …
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index…
Processing triggers for mime-support …
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info …
Errors were encountered while processing:
xojofeedback

One of my testers was able to get my program running on a 64-bit Linux and the program uses HTMLViewers heavily throughout (WebKit on all platforms)…

wow… i just installed Ubuntu in a VM to take some of the complexity out of a xplat debugging issue, and it looks like a substitution of activity. This is anything but straight forward.

Do you know if there is a simple distribution that I can install and try?

Very frustrating.

Try Linux Mint with the Cinnamon interface. You’ll need to bump the system font up to 12pt, but it works relatively well.

The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop 32 bit version works out-of-the-box. Just set this up yesterday and there was no issues. It can be downloaded here: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32-Bit

Change the Choose your flavour selection to 32-bit (for machines with less than 2GB of RAM

Oops… sorry. This was getting it to work on a 64-bit machine. I can’t delete/edit my previous post. Please ignore.

The many Linux distros makes it very difficult to develop and run Xojo solutions. As been said, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are for the most the best options.

At present I evaluate Zorin, Sabayon and Deepin. They all make my life a bit harder…