How Easy can be XCode / Swift ?

How Easy can be XCode / Swift for a Xojo user ?

(I used, long time ago an Assembler, C, HyperCard, Xojo since REALbasic 1, etc.)

Well I guess you’d need one of those fruit thingies first, and you probably wouldn’t want to interact with glass.

Xcode? Hard.

Swift? I’m currently doing the Swift Playground on my iPad as I want to see how they teach programming to kids. Interesting. I can see kids having a lot of fun there.

To be fair, the XCode IDE is not that far from Xojo. It becomes more complex because of the number of options, for instance in the equivalent of the Inspector.

Swift is annoying for a developer, because of its state of flux. The language has changed quite a bit since its release, and older projects must be updated.

In of itself, though, the language is not terribly difficult to learn. Nothing a Xojo developer should fear.

WAY easier IMO than Objective-C.

Swift 3.0 (just released) is supposedly the last release to potentially break code through language changes.

The language itself is fine - it’s getting to grips with the frameworks that’s the issue.

One thing Xojo developers are not normally exposed to, unless one creates a declare. That is one major advantage.

[Is this thread going to be locked before I get to post my reply…? :)]

I agree with Patrick, the Swift language itself should be pretty simple to understand, especially with all the learning resources Apple are releasing for free. It’s the usage of the different frameworks that are sometimes more complex. In a sense, Xojo have traditionally mixed the language and frameworks together so you don’t really think about the difference. When I started with RB back in 1998, I don’t remember thinking about frameworks - I just learnt “the language”; I learnt RB and could make apps. I fear a lot of kids will learn Swift and think they now know how to create apps - they’ll be wrong.

So you’ve three components to think about:

1. The language, Swift, which as I said, should be pretty simple for you.
  2. The IDE, Xcode, which as Michel said, has similarities to Xojo but can be more scary as everything is revealed to you. My best advice when learning Xcode is to wear blinkers - ignore everything in the IDE you don’t currently need. It’s actually a very good IDE.
  3. The frameworks: there are lots and lots of frameworks which gives you lots of power. But it also means lots of complexity and lots to learn.

I know a number of us who use both Xcode and Xojo depending on the project - there are advantages to both and if you want to learn Swift/Xcode, I am sure you could do it. Like anything, it’ll just take some commitment.

Best I get in here quick then…

Of course - I’m always right!

My biggest issue with getting my head around Swift was/is the concept of “optionals” - threw me. I get it but boy do I have to think about it when I code…

MY OPINION … the learning curve on SWIFT is “different”, but as been said there is more exposure to the framework (setting a background color in Swift is ONE line, in XOJO it is current 3 declares and 8 lines of code)… And there are dozen (hundreds) of things the Xojo just has not gotten to. Declares should be the exception, not the rule.

I am in the process of finishing a full blown syntax highlighting text editor for the iPad done 100% in Swift… this would be near impossible to do in the current state of “Xojo for iOS”

So its up to you to choose the tool to accomplish you goal in the best way possible

Up till now I did not understand the existance of xojo for IOS. Since swift is there, that product will alleays be leading. I don’t want to discourage anybody, use what you like most.
I like to use xojo for desktop and web projects.

Locked. #8 in forum etiquette.