How do I try Valentina Reports ADK for RealStudio/Xojo

How do I try Valentina Reports ADK for RealStudio/Xojo?

I have a license for Valentina Studio, so I can design reports that way, but I would like to try it from Xojo.
When I go to their website I can see that they say I can try it (No Risk!) at http://www.valentina-db.com/en/valentina-reports-adk-features , but when I want to download the ADK so I can try it (at http://www.valentina-db.com/en/developer-central-overview, then the download link under embedded reports for Developers). I do not see a download for the ADK anywhere. Has anyone tried this? What do I need to download? The website seems to indicate that the Valentina Reports Engine for Valentina Server is built right into Valentina Server, but I do not want to use Valentina Server, I want to use the Reports ADK with Postgresql instead.

Also, does anyone know what the Valentina Reports 1 ADK, 3 ADK and ALL ADK in the store means? Is that per developer, per platform?

As always their website is very confusing. I posted that on their feedback ages ago, but I still do not comprehend their licensing system or downloads on their website.
Hopefully someone here has some experience with using their products and can provide some information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Valentina Reports ADK & Valentina DB ADK are a single download / installer.

You can find a few how to videos on the Paradigma Software Youtube channel:

How to download and install on… : Linux | Windows | Mac OS X

How to… Build a Xojo Web Application + Valentina Reports

There are a lot of additional videos there you’ll find useful about different elements in Valentina Reports, using Valentina Studio, installing Valentina Server and the like.

Valentina Reports ADK requires a restart now and then until you have a serial.

All downloads are in the downloads section. Just scroll down to the Xojo section.

Agreed. I looked at it but the site tells you less than you would like to know. (Like simply walking you thru doing a report ). They seem to do good work. But the front pages is a list of products that I have no experience with. Thus I don’t know one from the others.

So do I download Valentina for RealStudio/Xojo or do I need to download Valentina server? (since the website seems to indicate that the reports ADK is part of the server).

I really think that the website should indicate which download includes what, because I’m quite sure I’m not the only one that is confused. Don’t forget that to compound the problem, my first language isn’t English and therefore I might misunderstand some instructions unless they are 100% clear.

The windows video which I unfortunately need seems not to function (the linux and mac videos work just fine of course, thanks to Murphy’s law again)

PS: This is not to complain about the actual software. Like I said I have a license for Valentina Studio which I can use to design reports, and it works mostly fine for what I need it for (working with Postgresql). I just would want to test how I can use the reports from Xojo.

Hi Dirk
send me a email, I respond with a sample of how to show postgres Valentina reports from Xojo

jorge.brito @ pasa.ec

We just published on article on how to use Valentina Reports in Xojo in the latest issue of xDev Magazine (http://xdevmag.com/browse/12.1/12105/), which might be helpful.

Thanks for all the replies.
I hadn’t had a change to read xDev 12.1 yet, so I hadn’t seen the article yet. Thanks to the article I saw that the needed download was v4rb5win.exe, which can be found on their website as Valentina for REAL Studio / Xojo, 32 bit for Windows. The reason it was confusing is that the website does not mention what is included in that download, and since Valentina is a database, I just assumed that this was not what I needed to download, since I needed the Valentina Reports ADK for use with Postgresql. I had not need for the Valentina database, so I didn’t think that was the correct download. A link with “more info” explaining what was contained in the download would go a long way to solve the confusion people have when looking at the website.

Now to solve the confusion of the license they offer:
Valentina Reports 1 ADK. Looks simple: 1 developer, right?
Valentina Reports 3 ADK. 3 developers? no wait, 3 combinations of IDE (Realbasic/Xojo, .Net framework,C, C++,Cocoa,…) + OS (Windows, MacOS, Linux) and three serial numbers. so not necessarily 3 developers, but more like 3 platforms. And I can buy three times Realbasic/Xojo + Windows and cover three developers.
Valentina Reports ALL ADK. Ah, I guess all platforms. The website says 'With this option you get ALL combinations of {IDE +OS}, existed right now and any future. You will get a lots of serial numbers". Ok, now I’m totally confused again. Does this mean that 1 developer has a right to use all platforms, or that several developers can use the Reports ADK, but they each need to use a key for a different platform, or all my developers can use all platforms?

I know that Lynn and Ruslan do a great job with their product and try their best to support the community, but I wish that the process of testing and buying their products was not that confusing. I mean, if I need to ask for help to know what I need to buy, how many people will just not bother because they are confused and just look elsewhere.

Lynn if you are still reading this, please take this as constructive feedback.

PS: I own/use several of their products and have no issues with them, but each time I try to buy their products I get confused when looking at their website. Just hoping that the experience of buying something from their website can be improved.

Hi Dirk,

2014 is the year our website(s) get upgraded :slight_smile:

The ADKs are all embedded solutions for applications. If you need something that runs in your application, you will want either Valentina Reports ADK (for reports) or Valentina DB ADK (for the database engine).

These are rather granular - an ADK is differentiated by its type (Reports or Database), technology (Xojo, Java, .net, etc) and operating system. If you are developing a reporting app with SQLite on the Mac only, you’d want Valentina Reports ADK for Xojo (Mac OS X). If you were building on Mac, Windows and Linux - the big three deployments of Xojo, then buying Valentina Reports 3 ADK is what you want (selecting Xojo and the appropriate operating system).

We get developers who are very focused on the operating system and not so much the technology. For example, we have some Mac OS X developers who get three Reports ADKs that are all Mac OS X - Cocoa / Objective-C, Xojo (Mac OS X) and Java (Mac OS X). It makes for a very huge buffet, but we have all combinations.

Each ADK is serialized on start up. For a cross platform Xojo app going to all three operating systems, you can pass this in string format, based on operating system, so you’d pass all three strings (all three serials) and be done with it.

Licensing is based on developer seats, but that said, typically its just one developer working on that aspect of a project, even if the project is big - and that’s really how we view licensing of the ADKs. The per-seat licensing comes into play more if we have nine different programmers hitting our support with questions over the same project.

Yeah, but if I develop on Mac, but target Windows, Linux and Mac, then what do I need? I’m developing only on Mac, but distributing to three. I assume from the rest of your explanation that I would need a 3 ADK in that situation as well?

PS: Is there any way to use RTF fields in Valentina Reports, and if not, is this planned?

Thanks for the help.
Dirk Cleenwerck

RTF is just a format, you can store it in most databases as either some kind of text field or blog filed…

RTF is just a format, but when our customers enter RTF (styled text) in an editfield (we use FTC) in our software, they also expect to see it printed as styled text. Storing it in the database and displaying it on the screen is not an issue. Printing it on the other hand is. Most reporting tools have serious issues with RTF printing.

You would need all three because the license is based on the target compile. When you set up Valentina ADK, you’ll find you need to enter code to initialize it at runtime. Then when you compile, your application will initialize according to whatever platform its on.