Hoster with Xojo Support in Germany?

Can anybody give me a short roundup about webhosters or ISPs in Germany hosting mySQL and Xojo web apps?
It should be a managed virtual server with xojo support out of the box because I am not really familar with apache und perl config.

https://www.jiffybox.de

and my instructions are here:
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/realbasic/webapps-jiffybox.shtml

Thx Christian!

Already got an trail server for 24 h on jiffybox running my xojo app. It’s great! Thx for your tutorial Christian.

http://176.221.42.14/hb/

But I am still in trouble connecting to my mysql database via SSH. When I am local on my server everything works fine, I login to mysql with root and can send SQL querys but when I try to connect with Navicat or Sequel Pro I cannot. Myql-binding is to localhost, guess I’m still missing something.

But now I need to sleep, it’s 5:00 am here in Germany :frowning:

To be honest: I wouldn’t go with a jiffybox. There are plenty better and cheaper like hosters contabo.de/ or alfahosting.de, which provides servers with plesk for example, which makes the app hosting much more convenient, cause you can alter things like reverse-proxy settings with nginx, loadbalancing, and you already have database servers with graphical interfaces installed, and you can auto-deploy using Git and so on.

But if you want to stick with the CLI of a server, then you should definately deploy your apps over docker, which is muuuuuuuuuuuch more easier and stable. And if you doing this, then you’re halfway down the road to deploy everthing to Kubernetes, which will take care of everything you do.

But please, Xojo users, STOP using an ftp-driven deploy way.

Yes I will! :wink: and tmux is my best friend…

This coincidence is interesting, actually I am moving away from Jiffybox after many years without problems. If you are in need of one or two servers (and if you’re in love with linux terminals or either hate web-based UI candy like Plesk, Webmin etc.) then Jiffybox is still an option. But I am running and maintaining a lot of servers and Jiffybox does not scale good in these circumstances (means: they are far too expensive and costs more than contracts with regular NOCs with same or better backbone connectivity).

What? Who’s still using FTP? In the year 2020?

With Web 2.0 the only possible deployment option is a standalone app. No more cgi. So small server instances are good options.

For example:
https://www.hetzner.de/cloud

And for easy deployment with a script from Tim Parnell https://blog.timi.me/2020/04/07/deploying-xojo-web/

If you manage several servers or webapp instances, then you definitely should go with Docker and Kubernetes.

It feels overwhelming at the start, but is the most beautiful way tho host applications ever.

We have beginning from the merge into the master branch on, a fully automated deployment. Starting with a buid server, which builds our application in Xojo, placing the executable into a Docker image (combined with a 18.04 Ubuntu and all), pushes it to the Gitlab registry and deploys it into our Kubernetes cluster. Complete automated.

With load balancing, super easy setup of new instances over a Helm chart and so on. Takes like two or three days to set up, but after it’s flawless and close to be maintainless.

Only thing: you’ll need a bigger machine as you might have over Jiffybox, so I would say: go with Contabo.

Additionally: if you run out of ressources in your Kube Cluster, you simply add another server into it seamlessly as a new Node, and It’ll uses this as it would be one server.

+100 for Kubernetes and Contabo and stuff

Sorry, docker is the best and fastest ticket to security nightmares. If you want to work with containers, then better stick with podman. Let me put this in this words: I know how to deal with Containers, but for Security reasons I do not use them for my own infrastructure. I am rather in favor of KISS (keep it stupid simple).

:slight_smile: Ubuntu is the “Microsoft” within the Linux Community violating GNU principles and basic freedoms (e.g. Snap), Privacy (e.g. Amazon Searchbars, motd, telemetry by default etc.). IMHO in terms of security and privacy Ubuntu is a very bad choice.

My favorite OS for many years is “the Original” - GNU/Linux Debian on both, servers and desktops.

But I am afraid we are moving away from topic… but nice to talk about :wink:

1 Like

Okay, let’s dive into that rabbit hole:

Ubuntu is not really the microsoft under the Linux Distros. Sure, Canonical is a commercial provider, but ubuntu is still one of the most stable and feature-complete Linux distros out there (which are free). You can also go with Mint, Xubuntu, Debian or whatever.

The Snap package is just another try to combine the fragmented landscape of package managers out there. I also don’t agree with the closed-source habit, but the ideas behind are good and you don’t need to stick with it, doesn’t you?

However, choosing another Linux in a container environment is allright. Even though when I also don’t really agree with the security scaring of yours. If you know what you’re doing, then Docker is fine. If you don’t, then also Podman can be your worst security nightmare.

My message was: containers, containers, containers. And for a Kubernetes cluster it doesn’t matter if the container came from Podman or Docker.

lol I am afraid we’ve only scratched the surface… but we found a common ground :slight_smile: I am also fine with containers at all though not as root in docker. Podman is the better rootless option :wink:

Let’s move on…

1 Like

I use the services of contabo for web apps (stand alone), their cheap and rules allow almost any site.