Help!! Xojo or SQLite Bug?

First this is a Desktop App and I am on Mac OS 10.9.5 with latest Xojo.

I have a view with a lot of fields across 2 tables

I use it as a table in a SELECT statement and iterate through the resulting recordset (RSView) in a While Loop… This works fine on it’s own.

Inside that While Loop I perform select on a List table containing compound names using data one of the fields from RSView to get the shortest name to display. This results in the recordset RSName:

While Not RSView.EOF
  CmpKey = RSView.Field("CompoundKey").StringValue
  RSName = DB.SQLSelect( "SELECT  Name, Min(LENGTH(Name))  FROM CompoundNames Where CompoundKey = "+ CmpKey)
  CompoundName = RSName.IdxField(1).StringValue
  RSName.Close
   ... ' Does the work
  RSView.MoveNext
WEnd

The Same DB connection is used for both selects.

The first time through the While loop all works as expected…

BUT the 2nd time through RSName is NIL even though when I paste the actual select string into the the FireFox SQLite Manager the select Works as expected an in general it works elsewhere in the app while looping through other RecordSets

Looking at the DB error I get on the RSName Select, it says the DB is closed…
BUT IT"S NOT. If I have it ignore the NIL RSName and don’t do more RSNAme Selects in the loop the rest of the loop iterations executes fine…

While Not RSView.EOF
  CmpKey = RSView.Field("CompoundKey").StringValue
  RSName = DB.SQLSelect( "SELECT  Name, Min(LENGTH(Name))  FROM CompoundNames Where CompoundKey = "+ CmpKey)
  If RSName <> NIL then
    CompoundName = RSName.IdxField(1).StringValue
    RSName.Close
  End if

... ' Does the work
   RSView.MoveNext
WEnd

That loops runs… But all the compounds have the same name - so the DB can not be closed!

I am at a loss here… Any help would be appreciated!

• Karen

Well, the only time RS will be nil is if there is an SQL error. Since you’re not checking for an error anything can happen. Checking for nil is worthless, in my opinion, because it works around a symptom and tells you nothing of the original problem.

I can see you’re missing the quotes on the CmpKey component of the query which should make RSName nil for every iteration leaving CompoundName unchanged.

Thanks Wayne,

CompKey is an integer so it does not need to be quoted… Also when I copy the Query string (put it in a temp var and put it on the clipboard, the query itself works when I Run it in SQLite Manager on the same DB… so I don’ think that is the issue.

In any case I worked around it by doing a direct select on one table instead of the view and put the names in a dictionary before the View loop runs, and that works.

Thanks

• Karen

I left out a detail… I subclass SQLite DB and override the following methods- but it’s all completely hidden from my code so I don’t think about it:. I took that out as part of troubleshooting to make sure it was not involved.

Public Function SQLSelect(SelectString As String) as RecordSet
  DIm RS as RecordSet = Super.SQLSelect(SelectString)

If Error  Or RS Is NIL then
    Dim C as New Clipboard
    C.Text = SelectString
    C.Close

If Error then
      Raise NEw DatabaseException( ErrorCode, ErrorMessage + EndofLine _
      + SelectString)
    Else
      Raise New DatabaseException( -9999, "NIL RecordSet" + EndofLine _
      + SelectString)
    End if
  End if

Return RS
End Function
Public Sub InsertRecord(tableName As String, dbRecord As DatabaseRecord)
  Super.InsertRecord(tableName, dbRecord)
  If me.Error Then
    Dim  Err as New DatabaseException(ErrorCode, ErrorMessage)
    Raise Err
  End if
End Sub
Public Function Connect() as Boolean
  If Super.Connect Then 
    SQLExecute("PRAGMA foreign_keys = ON")
    Return True
  Else
    If Error Then Raise New DatabaseException(ErrorCode, ErrorMessage)
  End if
End Function

No No No!
CmpKey MUST be… well not quoted but converted to a string:

… Where CompoundKey = "+ Str(CmpKey))

jjc_Mtl

[quote=323047:@Jean-Jacques Chailloux]No No No!
CmpKey MUST be… well not quoted but converted to a string:

… Where CompoundKey = "+ Str(CmpKey))

jjc_Mtl[/quote]

It was a string… Would not have compiled otherwise… When I said Integer, I was taking about the data in the string, which is why it did not need to be quoted.

• Karen