Help please - Install Windows 7 over Windows 8.1

Hello,

I just bought a Toshiba LS55 B5267 laptop, it comes with Windows 8.1 installed.
How can I delete Windows 8.1 and install Windows 7?

Inserting the Windows 7 DVD and restarting does not work, I understand that the boot loader may be locked.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Lennox

if you are absolutely certain that your Windows 7 CD is valid, then I would suggest 2 options:
1- make sure that the boot sequence of the laptop is DVD first and hard disk second. If it was not, then retry the windows 7 DVD
2-If the first option is not working for you, then create a gparted live cd, use it to delete your windows 8 partition and then install windows 7.

Now, I would suggest another course of action, far less risky and in my opinion, better than the above: install Classic Shell and as a result, get a Windows 7 menu on your Windows 8.1 computer. Classic Shell is free. I use it on several Windows 8 and 8.1 computers. If you don’t like Classic Shell, there are several other free or paid alternatives to bring back your Windows 7-style menu on your Windows 8+ machine. To me, 8.1 with a 7 menu is the best Windows money can buy.

Or, why are you locked into Win 7? I’ve switched all of our day to day machines over to Win 8.1 and we’ve not looked back.

I’m using Classic Start 8 on Windows 8 and it works great. I’m still running VB 6 on this machine to maintain software that I’ve been putting off updating to .Net.

Thanks, but I just don’t like Windows 8… I am a dedicated Mac User but I need a PcC to do tests on my PC version of apps I created.

1- make sure that the boot sequence of the laptop is DVD first and hard disk second. If it was not, then retry the windows 7 DVD
I did that… but it does not boot from the DVD or USB.

I will try Classic Shell and see what happens.

Thanks.

Lennox

i don’t know if this will help you any or not, but you might check it out real quick:

http://gizmodo.com/5912663/windows-8-boots-so-fast-you-cant-access-the-bios-menu

[quote=165079:@Lennox Jacob]Thanks, but I just don’t like Windows 8… I am a dedicated Mac User but I need a PcC to do tests on my PC version of apps I created.

I did that… but it does not boot from the DVD or USB.

I will try Classic Shell and see what happens.[/quote]

As much as you may loathe Windows 8 (don’t we all ?), it is important to know that all new machines are now coming with 8.1. There are enough differences under the hood to make certain apps work in 7 and not in 8.x, so you want to make sure it works on both to minimize potential support requests.

Classic shell does make Windows 8.x usable. You could also install 7 in double boot, so you can switch between the two. See http://www.extremetech.com/computing/143380-how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-windows-7 and
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425418,00.asp

It works for 7 over 8.1 as well.

My own machine has 7, 8.1 and Windows 10 Tech preview. As for XP, it is hosted in a VirtualBox VM on the iMac. In terms of customers, 7 is some 55% of the parc, XP is still 18% or so, and 8.1 around 15% (then Vista, NT, etc.). So you want to make sure your app works under those three before you send it in the cruel world…

not to start another OS wars, but windows 8 is very similar to OSX.

you can pin apps to the start screen which is like launchpad and move them round, group them and name groups.
you can hit the windows key and press the down arrow to get to all your apps (like the applications folder in finder)
you can hit win key and start typing an app name which is like spotlight.

as a long time mac user, i’ve found win8 to be much nearer my workflows than win7 ever was.
I actually don’t mind it at all these days.

[quote=165130:@Russ Lunn]not to start another OS wars, but windows 8 is very similar to OSX.

you can pin apps to the start screen which is like launchpad and move them round, group them and name groups.
you can hit the windows key and press the down arrow to get to all your apps (like the applications folder in finder)
you can hit win key and start typing an app name which is like spotlight.

as a long time mac user, i’ve found win8 to be much nearer my workflows than win7 ever was.
I actually don’t mind it at all these days.[/quote]

The main issue with Windows 8 is the relative inconsistency between the start screen and the desktop. Your comparison with the launchpad is good, but to stay in OS X, it would be like having to select the desktop from the launch pad, which is not very logical.

Microsoft must have got their senses back, since now Windows 10 opens on the desktop, and the tiles start screen is now in the start menu. Unless used on a tablet, then it opens on the start screen, like Windows 8.

Fact is, Windows 8 was conceived for a touch screen interface first, just like if OS X had been turned into a desktop version of iOS.

Discussing OS’es is a bit like discussing religion. War is always around the corner or under your car…

Indeed. This was a major design error that Microsoft will suffer from for a long time. Windows was already under fire, it is now pleagued with even more prejudice.

I am still not sold on the Windows 10 menu. I think I still prefer the organization found in the Windows 7 menu. I need more play time with Windows 10 to explored its features better.

[quote]The main issue with Windows 8 is the relative inconsistency between the start screen and the desktop. Your comparison with the launchpad is good, but to stay in OS X, it would be like having to select the desktop from the launch pad, which is not very logical.

[/quote]

well, win8.1 is a free update and you can tell it always start with the desktop instead of the start menu.

I don’t know how you’d downgrade from 8.1 to 7, but I want to echo what Louis said. Windows 8.1 with the free Classic Shell to simulate the Windows 7 Start Menu works really well for me. I recommend trying that for a while before downgrading.

I tried several times to install VB6 on Win8.1 I couldnt…this was the main reason for switching to Xojo.

VB6 aka VS98 still alive!?!?

No longer supported, no longer compatible. You cannot install in Windows 8 onward.

I’m curious, what if you intentionally corrupt the system? Would it want to reinstall then (allowing you to use a win7 disc?)

There is a way, kind of like that “nuclear” option. Use a Linux live disk and format the hard drive. Then you can install anything. Even Windows 95 :wink:

I hate any Windows 8 full screen apps. I have an Acer i5 4200u that came with Windows 8.1. I had to disable “Secure Boot” in the BIOS to allow installing any other OS. I am using Windows 10 preview in it, everything runs very nice.