Help me spec a PC for heavy image processing

I had posted something about this a couple years ago, but things have changed with what we’re doing and how we’re doing it. We are nearing completion of the mechanical and electronic aspects of a motion picture film scanner we’re building in house and I need to get started on the software side in the next couple weeks. The scanner is designed to handle multiple types of film, which are different sizes and shapes. The scanner’s resolution is 14k x 10k at the largest, though most scanning will be done at lower resolutions (more like 9k). Worst case, we’re talking about 300MB/image (monochrome 16 bit: 14500px x 10000px x 16bit), and will need to process about three frames per second - the max speed of the camera we’re using.

The hardware control is handled by a purpose-built microcontroller we communicate with via serial commands. The software on the workstation handles all of the coordination (telling the machine when to advance, which color light to enable, when to snap a frame, etc). It also handles the image processing: Frame alignment using film perforations as reference, merging three mono frames into one color image, color space conversions, inversion of negative images, correcting for color cast, and writing out the final file to disk.

My current thinking, based on past threads I’ve posted here, is that we’re going to make a bunch of small, very specific command line apps that do their thing and report back to a Master application, (at first, probably another CLI, but eventually a GUI). To keep things moving along, we’ll create a large RAM disk and read/write files to that until the final output file is ready to be written to our SAN.

Ok, so all that said, my thinking is that I’ll probably need a PC that has a high clock speed and tons of RAM. A massive number of cores probably isn’t necessary. Instead, each color channel might be processed on its own core. I do something like this now with a tool I built in Xojo to create digital package files to the Library of Congress Bagit standard, where we might be dealing with upwards of 300,000 files at a time). It’s significantly faster than any other bagit tool I’ve used, and works well on 4-6 cores, until it starts to saturate the older hardware’s bandwidth.

We will probably use some of the MBS plugins/ ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick to do the processing stuff, otherwise everything is off-the-shelf Xojo.

At the moment, I’m thinking:

SuperMicro C9X299-PG300F
Intel i9-10980XE (18core 3ghz)
256 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
M2 drive for the OS

We’re not planning to do any GPU processing, so we’ll just re-use an old GPU we have here for the basic video out. We don’t need any storage in the machine beyond the OS, all files will be written to our SAN over a 10gbE network.

So my question here is: should I be looking at these faster i9 CPUs for their clock speed, or should I be looking at more of a workstation class machine with Xeons? The thing with the Xeons is that they have slower clock speeds generally and excel at multi-core work, which I don’t think we’re going to need too much of. We have found in our day to day use with DaVinci Resolve (color correction software that is both CPU speed and multi-core dependent, depending on what you’re doing) that sometimes a faster clock speed with an 8 core i7 was faster than our machines with a 14-core Xeon, even on the same motherboard, with similar specs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

EDIT: I should also add that I’m not opposed to doing this on a mac, however, our frame grabber (which has mac drivers) requires PCIe Gen3. The new MacPro units, in the rack mount config we’d need, start at $6500, which is just crazy. If there’s a way to do this with a less expensive machine and an expansion chassis, I’m open to that as well.

Some considerations.

1. One command line tool that will handle the entire workflow. Which can be forked for each frame, will avoid a lot of overhead, but timing will be issue.
  2. Look at Björns Einhugur plugins for image processing, Björn is into image processing.
  3. If using separate command line tools, consider using shared memory for the workflow, as it will avoid touching the file system (even on a RAM disk) so it will reduce overhead.
  4. GPU processing is where you’ll get the best performance in pixel processing. Some video processing libraries will decide the video frames directly into the GPU (which avoids the memory swap) and write the encoded image from the GPU.

Thanks, i’ll lookinto the Einhugur plugins as well. The thinking with doing things as separate cli apps was really about development - make them one at a time for testing and rapid development, then eventually roll it all into a single application.

Given that we’re never going to get this working faster than 3fps, and that we are only ever working with uncompressed 16bit images, a GPU isn’t really going to help us too much. If we were doing things faster, then for sure it would speed us up. It’s also worth noting that we’re not working with “video” here - these are single frames, captured and written as sequential images so things like mpeg acceleration aren’t a factor.

I did just confirm with the frame grabber manufacturer that some customers are using PCIe Expansion chassis with macs, which is an interesting idea. The bandwidth is reduced from 3Gbps for the card installed in a PCIe 3.0 slot to 1.5-1.8 in an expansion chassis over thunderbolt 3. But because we’d never be moving more than 900MB/second, that may work well for us - plenty of overhead left. The question is - which mac to use if we go that route?

The GraphicsMagick command line tools support memory mapped files and OpenMP. I would maybe start with them to see how well they cope with your requirements. If GraphicsMagick looks feasible you could possibly call it from a Xojo shell or maybe see if the MBS GraphicsMagick plugin works as well.

hmm. I’ll check that out. Thanks!

We’ve decided that rather than dropping $3500 on a PC, we’re going to try an alternative, using machines we have in house - Last night, after confirming with the frame grabber manufacturer that it’ll work, I ordered a StarTech Thunderbolt PCIe Expansion chassis. It’s supposed to arrive today so I’ll try to get the frame grabber installed on one of our more recent Intel iMacs. It won’t be ideal, but it should give us enough data to go on when deciding what to buy. They claim people are using these chassis with the same camera at much higher frame rates (lower bit depths), on Mac Minis. So this should be an interesting experiment. Worst case, I’m out $250 for the expansion chassis, though I’m sure we can find a use for that.