Hello Again

"Apple today sent out media invites for a Mac-centric event that will be held on Thursday, October 27 at 10:00 a.m. at Apple’s Cupertino campus.

The October event is expected to focus on the introduction of new Macs, headlined by a much-rumored and highly anticipated revamped MacBook Pro. According to rumors, the new MacBook Pro will feature the first redesign to the machine since 2012. "

At last!

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/19/apple-announces-october-27th-mac-centric-event/

Rumors have it USB C only ???
I’m hoping it has several if thats true
I’ll have to buy all new adapters for external display drives etc etc etc

I suspect Apple will indeed dump a load of “old tech”. This is what they do when they completely revamp their Mac line, which it’s likely they’re about to do. Of course, this annoys some of us geeks who have built up a collection of lots of kit - hard drives, displays etc - and there’s a huge outcry and people swear there’s no way they are going to buy the new generation. And then they go on to be bestsellers anyway. Just see the iPhone 7 and the headphone jack controversy.

Personally, I’m in the market for brand new generation Macs. Bring it on.

“Skate to where the puck is going, not where it has been.”

Oh sure I dont have an issue with that
I just hope they dont figure 1 USB-C and 1 Thunderbolt 3 will be enough
All 5 TB and USB ports on my current rMBP are in use every day - and I have a USB hub plugged in as well
Plus the HDMI

Plus the Magsafe - probably my FAVOURITE thing on my rMBP
It’s saved my machine from an inglorious crash to the floor more than once

The only “port” with nothing in it is the card reader

Hence I hope they put a PILE of ports on it even if its all USB C and TB 3

I used to have a white MacBook with all sorts of interfaces. I bought the 2015 gold MacBook for the looks, but I have to confess the small unique usb c is really tight. Now I have a collection of adaptors to do what used to be so simple before. It works, but it is kind of inconvenient. For a travel machine that is fine. But for an everyday one, I would really mind.

Agreed, Norman, I think MagSafe is still an awesome and awesomely simple little technology. Sadly, I suspect it will go away. That’s one change I will really regret.

While I’m more than ready for new hardware, I’m not ready to replace everything just yet.

I’m hoping it will still have:

• A regular USB-A port (as the only thing I can get with a USB-C port is an adaptor to other ports).
  • Thunderbolt, this TBD is not quite dead yet and I’d hate to put it to pasture just because it can’t be connected to a new Mac.
  • Headphone jack, you know, so I can use headphones that don’t suck.

Adapters 'R Us :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d love to see Apple report earnings & split out “Adapters” as a line item :stuck_out_tongue:
JUST to see how bad they get us for each time they “update”

If they remove all other ports but one USB C, one have to add to the price of the new machine an Adapter. What’s the difference ?
An higher price and a box to take with you ? Not in the good old Apple way.

Now, one week to go to have the answer.

Well…

Audio jack, gone = Good! Old analog tech needs to be replaced sooner or later.

many of the newer rMBP’s had digital audio outputs
see https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202730

Unfortunately, my ears are still analog.

I would normally agree with you, if were not that the replacement tech is worse. Bluetooth replaces quality with convenience and Lightning headphones only work with iOS.

Last night I read a review of a new set of Bluetooth headphones, it supports a massive list of Bluetooth audio codecs, but in the end the reviewer said it was clear that Audio is better over the good old 3.5mm headphone jack. Which has been my experience also, it came at a time when I wasn’t looking, so I wasn’t biased to begin with, I use Bluetooth casually, but when I really want to enjoy music, I use a cable.

True. But someone has to be the one to take the step and try something else. Not saying Lightning or Bluetooth is the best way to go, only time(or other developments in the area) will tell. The good thing about the old 3.5mm jack is that it’s a widespread standard…and lightning is not a standard for audio(yet).

Soooo, there are many tech things you can’t use then? Your whole you is analog :wink: