Select Case RetCode

Case 1
  MsgBox("A")

Case 2
  MsgBox("B")

Case 3
  MsgBox("C")

End Select

I would argue that since most code structures are hierarchical, each “Case” is owned by the “Select Case” and “End Select” pair and each “MsgBox” is owned by the Preceeding “Case”.

The way Xojo places the “Case” at the same indent level as the “Select Case” and “End Select” doesn’t read well to me and seems awkward.

The previous Xojo release would let me indent the way I prefer but the new release seems to ignore my attempts at overriding it’s default indentation.

What’s up with that?

-Wes

Select case has always indented this way
This is unchanged in the last few years

[quote=342593:@Norman Palardy]Select case has always indented this way
This is unchanged in the last few years[/quote]

True, but now it seems to no longer let me indent the “Case” statements whereas it used to allow that.

Yep. I just went back to Xojo Version 2016 Release 4.1 and I can indent to my hearts content. Xojo Version 2017 Release 1.1 won’t allow it. Something in the IDE has changed.

-Wes

Oh I know what you’re referring to but its not “auto indentation” per se.

In binary there is a tag that tells us where the start and end of the “line of code” is.
So it can handle lots of spaces in there (before the first character & after the last)
Same for XML as there’s XML tags like … your code here …
NOT so in TEXT formats where its JUST text. There are no special markers (nor do people want them)
Leading tabs and spaces are unclear as to whether they are inserted by YOU or by the IDE as part of saving your code so its indented so its a readable text file.

What could occur is you save a file as binary.
I open it and save it as text as I use a version that allows this.
Then I remember you can only open binary so I open it and save as binary and send it back to you and all your indentation is gone.
And you get mad at me for ripping it out but I did no such thing.
All I did was open & save. Twice.

Consistency between the formats is what is at play here.
And so leading tabs & spaces have been disallowed to make this consistency work.