Has anybody used xojoserver.com ?

Xojoserverdotcom are not too hot on spell checking either. Although ‘Sing Up’ might be more entertaining than ‘Sign Up’ :slight_smile:

I was never too keen on vaporware. This thread started on February 6, so they were up, and absolutely nowhere did they mention such a delay.

Better go to tried and true like ServerWarp, or Xojo Cloud.

@Michel: I totally agree… I had an eye on xojoserver[dot]com for a longer time now and just wanted to know now what’s up with them…
Because I also look for an alternative to Xojo Cloud and ServerWarp… as other people here I think. But I can hardly find any, because I think - with my knowledge - I am not able to set up a secure server by myself (VPS or similar).

If anybody has an idea for a service like Xojo Cloud (which in fact is too expensive for small projects (only my opinion) or ServerWarp (which I preferred), I would really appreciate any advice…
Concerning Serverwarp: I have a server there which is down since some days and like others also experienced, I can not reach Phillip for any assistance (restart or remove data that I can not access by FTP) - neither via tickets nor by email…
As posted by Michel in other thread, first I also hope that Phillip is feeling well, because healthiness is always first!
Anyway I need a running server and think about ordering a second one at ServerWArp, but am not sure if this is all on “autopilot” (thanks to Michel for this wording…)

@Robin: I also saw some weird spell checking on xojoserver[dot]com… to stay positive I thought this comes from because they are “italian” mother language and had just some faults in transalation (better they use their energy for services… but website should also be okay :slight_smile: )

I will always be suspicious of people who come out of the blue with a Xojo offer and who don’t seem to participate in the forum.

About a server, I had a look at the diverse options suggested in https://forum.xojo.com/45278-i-need-an-hosting-solution/17#p472444,

For the time being, I could not consider Xojo Cloud. It could probably do for my software delivery back office, but I have a dozen or so web sites I rather host on my VPS. From what I understand, with the advent of Web 2.00, XC will support multiple sites. I may revise my opinion then.

1. I would not go for DigitalOcean. I have other things to do than learn Linux under the hood. I use to love hacking 30 years ago, this is not my thing anymore.

2. Lightsail AWS or OVH VPS seem like the best options, with decent support, and robust infrastructure. I am already with OVH for my French .fr servers. Not a simple glitch in 6 years.

3. VPSDime is intriguing. The price of their VPS is really a bargain. But I apart from experiments, I could not go for critical tasks.

About ServerWarp, I know Phillip is doing what he can, but I strongly suspect it is one of these cases where the founder is trying to juggle the entire business by himself, and he is crumbling under the weight. I sincerely hope he recovers, both health wise, and business wise. Since 2013 or so, he has always been here for me.

I get CubeSQL (on ServerWarp) to do a daily backup and this is placed in a location I have FTP access to. I back this up nightly.

@David Cox : do you know, if ServerWarp does daily/nightly backups on all accounts? Reason I ask is because my server/service (with MySQL) runs out of disk space from time to time and I can not see any “huge” data on the webserver (via FTP) or database - so there should be enough space. Phillip “fixed” this before, but did not tell me about he reason…

@Michel: thanks for this link, I did not see this before…
Think I will have to try and experience one/some of these tipps. Thank you all for these inputs…

I don’t know if it is backed up, I assume not. Even if it was, I would not want to rely on that backup alone.

Hey @Thomas Hamann got you squared away. :slight_smile:

Sorry for delay… I’ve been on lockdown helping my mother get to her appointments and preparations ready for a long haul. She is disabled and I haven’t been very in touch this week.

Michel is right. I have been had some struggles lately but catching up on everything.

We do daily backups onsite and offsite.

[quote=483059:@Michel Bujardet]1. I would not go for DigitalOcean. I have other things to do than learn Linux under the hood. I use to love hacking 30 years ago, this is not my thing anymore.

1. Lightsail AWS or OVH VPS seem like the best options, with decent support, and robust infrastructure. I am already with OVH for my French .fr servers. Not a simple glitch in 6 years.

2. VPSDime is intriguing. The price of their VPS is really a bargain. But I apart from experiments, I could not go for critical tasks.[/quote]
    I’m confused by your statement about Linux. AWS Lightsail, DigitalOcean, OVH VPS, and VPSDime are all Linux VPS providers. AWS is the only one that offers Windows…? Going for shared hosting or CGI at this point would be unwise, as Xojo has stated that Web 2.0 will be standalone only.

[quote=483120:@Phillip Zedalis]Hey @Thomas Hamann got you squared away. :slight_smile:

Sorry for delay… I’ve been on lockdown helping my mother get to her appointments and preparations ready for a long haul. She is disabled and I haven’t been very in touch this week.

Michel is right. I have been had some struggles lately but catching up on everything.

We do daily backups onsite and offsite.[/quote]
Hi Phillip. Great to see you’re back… Best wishes!

Xojo Cloud or Serverwarp are turn key ready.

Digital Ocean is not turn key ready. It requires a lot more. For which I don’t have time. I rather pay a bit more and have real support.

I guess I’m wondering why you named several other VPS providers as a solution but say DO is not?

FWIW I just made a blog post that walks you through the steps for setting up a Linux standalone web app. It’s not anywhere near as hard as you might think.

Many things are not hard after you have been through it once. Or can stand on the shoulders of somebody who has (like your blog!)

But for those with little / no Linux experience – especially if only Windows based and not macOS either – learning the steps you did to make your install shell script is a daunting task. So I think you are doing the community a real service by your blog and very low cost script.

[quote=483172:@Tim Parnell]I guess I’m wondering why you named several other VPS providers as a solution but say DO is not?

FWIW I just made a blog post that walks you through the steps for setting up a Linux standalone web app. It’s not anywhere near as hard as you might think.[/quote]

Would you mind sharing the link to the relevant blog post ? Thank you.

[quote=483202:@Michel Bujardet]…
[/quote]
It’s here Michel, https://blog.timi.me/2020/04/07/deploying-xojo-web/

Thank you, Paul. I’ll study it.