Hardware Accelerated OpenGLSurface

What a great idea for a thread @Martin_T.

I think an important discussion needs to be had about a new control for desktop to replace / compliment OpenGLSurface.

I’m working on an open source physics engine and the next step after this is rendering. I already know that the native Canvas won’t be fast enough and I know that the current OpenGLSurface (through extensions like ezGL) would be fast enough but Apple have formally deprecated OpenGL. I suspect it will be dropped in 11.1 which means that anyone wanting to write a game or scientific simulation in Xojo on the Mac will be disadvantaged.

Would Xojo consider adding either a specific new class for Mac (e.g: MetalSurface) that we can hook into to use Metal for drawing or (a better solution) provide a wrapper control for Mac, Linux and Windows that uses OpenGL on Linux, Vulcan on Windows and Metal on Mac?

This project is open source and I think would provide a solid foundation for Xojo to build upon:

This library uses the liberal Apache 2.0 license so Xojo can use it commercially.

3 Likes

<https://xojo.com/issue/58067>

1 Like

I added a bunch of points to this case. Thanks for highlighting it @Sam_Rowlands.

2 Likes

Well, it may also be possible to make a plugin for this.
Depends on the interested and what is Xojo’s roadmap on this.

1 Like

I would love for a Xojo engineer (@Greg_O_Lone, @Travis_Hill?) to chime in on the feasibility of this but my guess is that this isn’t high on their roadmap given many of the drawing capabilities of Xojo have been culled over the years (remember SpriteSurface?).

Having a modern GPU-accelerated drawing surface would be a huge feature for Xojo to leverage. Especially if they could wrap it so all we had to do was use it like a normal canvas but under the hood it was utilising Metal and Vulkan. That would open up Xojo to a whole load of new types of apps. Just being able to draw primitive, text and pictures would suffice.

3 Likes

Well, this would be a ton of work, take multiple months and I would only do it if I knew for sure, that there is enough interest to make it worthwhile and that Xojo Inc. will not do something similar for years.

And you guys are welcome to check out SceneKit classes.

1 Like

It’s a vote from me @Christian.

The SceneKit classes are great but they are macOS only. Not a cross platform solution.

2 Likes

Moved this to a new topic because it hijacked the thread it was on.

2 Likes