HandleURL for making Web Site instead of Web Application.

When I started to learn xojo 2 month ago, I understand that xojo is suitable for making Web Applications but not Web Sites. But 2 weeks ago, xojo new release 2014r3 finally break the limitation, the “HandelURL” event handler gives us a way to let google index our xojo web project, this makes it possible to make Web Sties not only Web Applications.

But after few days of trying to make Web Sites, I still have lots of questions can not solve, please can anyone help.

What I am trying to do is a very simple blog site, similar to Wordpress site, I need a front page to list out all the blog posts, when user click “read more”, they will link to the detail page of that article to show the full article.

Question one:
At the front page, how can I list out the posts? according to the number of posts, the page height should very, is this possible?

Question two:
At full article page, every article length is different, how can I make the text area to shrink/expend the size according to the length of the article?
If I want to put some picture at the middle of a blog post, will that be possible?

Am I going to the wrong direction? Should I stop thinking to make web site by xojo? Should I stay with Wordpress?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Do you have experience with HTML & CSS? If so, you may find it easier to use the WebSDK to create the types of controls you want and use the normal sessions

What you have described is still a web app, not a page/website. Even Wordpress is a database-driven web app, by the way. Every page is assembled on the fly. They do not exist as static html pages (except for the purposes of indexing and caching).

It has been possible for a while. HandleURL was not necessary to index a web app.
See
https://forum.xojo.com/15323-hashtag-in-allowunsupportedbrowser
https://forum.xojo.com/15403-google-indexing-solution

[quote]Question one:
At the front page, how can I list out the posts? according to the number of posts, the page height should very, is this possible?[/quote]
Yes. See http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/WebPage.MinHeight

[quote]Question two:
At full article page, every article length is different, how can I make the text area to shrink/expend the size according to the length of the article?
If I want to put some picture at the middle of a blog post, will that be possible?[/quote]

Simply change the page height as above, and change the TextArea Height as well. To add pictures, use an Image Well that you place next or above.

All that said, if what you want to do is a blog, yes, it is possible with Xojo. Just like a web app that looks and feel like a web site.

yes, but it’s still one page = one HTML file, even created on the fly.

For me, a web app it is rather a SPA (single page app), where each element is loaded dynamically, without leaving the page.

Thanks everyone’s help,

Greg: This is the first time I heard about WebSDK, I found the tutorial at install file, I will start to learn it.

Michael: Thanks for wonderful reference, very helpful, I will read them through.

Olivier: SPA is a good idea, let me see if I can achieve that.