Google I/O 2014

[quote=104647:@Brad Hutchings]Marc Andreessen (Twitter: @pmarca) has been tweeting lately about how the industry cycles between bundling and unbundling, and we’re seeing a strong “bundling” trend right now. The big vendors (Apple, Google, MS) are offering giant product stacks where the value of the combination of their individual products are purported to be greater than sum of the values of them:

1. Apple: Mac + iPad + iPhone --> 6 color euphoria
  2. Google: android _____ + Chrome --> Larry and Sergey in their party plane
  3. MS: Windows + Phone + Surface + Xbox --> One interface to run your life

The Apple tendency toward bundling is zero surprise. The MS one makes sense. But this Google one is very new, especially in unifying a whole bunch of initiatives under “android _____”. There are differences of approach in bundling as well. Apple has walled garden with really high walls and doesn’t give a rat’s behind about integration with other vendors’ technology. MS is actively trying to get its key apps on the other platforms. Google is open enough to let anyone integrate with the pieces, if they want.
[/quote]

The problem with 3 is that Microsoft has been trying it for a decade (at least) and it keeps failing. They did what Apple’s critics have been accusing them of ever since iOS was released (the IOSification of the Mac OS), and it turned out to be a mistake on Microsofts part.

Apples vision, your data everywhere (well if you use all Apple devices), is the superior one (IMO) and the one Microsoft should be copying.

[quote=104660:@Robert Schofield]The problem with 3 is that Microsoft has been trying it for a decade (at least) and it keeps failing. They did what Apple’s critics have been accusing them of ever since iOS was released (the IOSification of the Mac OS), and it turned out to be a mistake on Microsofts part.
[/quote]

Well, without picking sides and tribes… From my perspective, if you’re “all in” in any of the camps, it’s a religious thing and not worth the argument. Microsoft definitely has been iterating for a decade. SP3 + the inexpensive Windows 8 tablets (8" and smaller, x86) offer an unprecedented opportunity for them to take a nice little chunk of those who go all-in on the stacks, especially in established business. Apple’s gap (architecture, OS, distribution model) between mobile and desktop sticks out like a sore thumb right now. Even Google is bringing Android apps to ChromeOS.

Poor bastards - they didn’t get anything nice ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Google in your car, your thermostat and who knows where else so they can figure out even better which ads to shove at you ?
No thanks

Yes. Very nice piece of cardboard few people destroyed before knowing how to use it. (like the 3 seashells)

Sorry, you can’t, or they will deliver robots to your house to ask you why you are so rebel and take measures to correct your behavior.

They are diversifying, Google isn’t purely an ad dependent company anymore. They want you sign paid services and buy their goods too.

We have assaying around here
Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.
And since I live way out in the country I could do it and bury them and no one would think twice.
They’d hear the gunshot & think I was shooting coyotes or foxes.
No big deal around here :slight_smile:

Apple: Good hardware, better design. Worst price. Paid closed services. Movie: Wall Street.
Google: All in one looking for convergence and integration. Fair everything. Free open standards. Movie: Terminator.
MS: The IBM of the 21st century. Worst design. Paid they are not sure what. Movie: Lost, the series.

After Norman’s last post - I fear that we had all better start being nice to him!
Shaking

According to their 2014 Q1 filings 90% of their revenue is ad and ad related
http://www.zdnet.com/apple-google-microsoft-where-does-the-money-come-from-7000026043/

Yes. This is a huge revenue stream, making most of money today, and they want to change this. Don’t thinks they bought robot and AI companies, and are building self driving cars, just to create autonomous ad displays walking on the streets. :wink:

Compare prices on similarly equipped machines.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME865LL/A&step=config
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MD761LL/B&step=config
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-13-9333/pd (the 13" ultrabook with touch screen that has 4Gb less memory)

The air is less than the dell, the mbp slightly more but it also has more memory & two GPU’s so you can drive the internal & several external displays which I don’t think you can do with the dell

Apple used to be significantly more costly for similarly equipped machines (lots more than today)

Now you CAN find a cheap chrome book or other really low end $399 laptop from lots of vendors
Apple does NOT compete in that market as they don’t want to build, in their words, “junk”
I have neighbors who know I’m the “computer guy” that ask me to fix their netbooks & other 199 devices and make them surf the internet fast and do everything faster. I tell them to go get a good machine as these are all so low end they are really paper weights marketed as computers. A new surface would be a huge step up from those cheap boxes.

You should know the prices they charge around the world. :wink:

One Macbook air 13" costs around US$2600 here.
One Mac Pro 13" around US$4000, 15" around US$5000.

Usually, by the price of one Mac I can buy several windows notebooks (not retina, for sure).

That doesn’t mean I am against Apple. I do have their products and love. Just saying facts.

[quote=104758:@Norman Palardy]Now you CAN find a cheap chrome book or other really low end $399 laptop from lots of vendors
[/quote]

And, except for a few extra bugs in the Linux version of Xojo, the ~$269 720P from Acer (with Crouton installed) is a wonderful little development machine for Xojo users.

Apparently, Google is going full steam for Android. When will they drop Chrome OS ?

Nobody knows about the future, but now that ChromeOS will run Android Apps natively, they are converging faster, but still different. Many people expect a future merge, but the VP of Android, ChromeOS and Apps (weird position), Sundar Pichai, denies this, with unclear phrases like “There are no immediate plans for this”.

[quote=104764:@Rick Araujo]You should know the prices they charge around the world. :wink:

One Macbook air 13" costs around US$2600 here.
One Mac Pro 13" around US$4000, 15" around US$5000.

Usually, by the price of one Mac I can buy several windows notebooks (not retina, for sure).[/quote]
How much of that isn’t even Apples doing ?
http://thenextweb.com/la/2012/09/30/from-brazil-cost-brazil-profit-why-electronics-expensive-brazil/

[quote=104839:@Norman Palardy]How much of that isn’t even Apples doing ?
http://thenextweb.com/la/2012/09/30/from-brazil-cost-brazil-profit-why-electronics-expensive-brazil/[/quote]

This is common in Europe as well. People usually complain, but fail to notice that prices here always must have the taxes rolled into the displayed price, whereas in the US the taxes come in at the end, depending on where you’re purchasing from.

So, comparing the apple store spain with the apple store US it looks like there’s a 20% price increase where there may be a 1% price decrease of pre-tax price.