Goodbye OpenGL

Did you read this? Khronos Group is working on a successor of OpenGL – Vulkan: https://www.khronos.org/vulkan
With 64bit coming to the desktop – making Metal and SpriteKit available on OS X and iOS – and Vulkan on the other platforms: How about rekindling the Apache project – or something similar – soon?

Hmmm, this is some interesting developments. Will definitely follow the Vulkan developments with keen interest…

I hoped to get some of you graphics experts hooked onto that topic :wink:

Wouldn’t call myself an expert, but you definitely got me hooked :slight_smile:

I only wonder if Vulkan is such a great name for a group called Khronos. Vulkans and Klingons have rarely been best friends …

Two important documents to read about Vulkan…

SPIR-V White Paper
SPIR-V Specification (Provisional)

Greek mythology.
Khronos was a Titan father of all gods including Vulkan (Hephaestus) son of Zeus and therefore grandson of Khronos.

By logical deduction that implies that Vulkan en Kronos will be great friends then… :slight_smile:

The past couple of days I’ve been studying SPIR-V, an important component of the Vulkan rendering pipeline, and have to say, IMO SPIR-V is a gem of a software design.

For those interested in getting a high level overview of SPIR-V, here is a great article outlining its benefits for graphics rendering…

Redefining the shading languages ecosystem with SPIR-V

This is definitely interesting and will have to read up on this some more.

Another change with graphics is the Unreal Engine 4 is free UNREAL ENGINE 4 and am trying to see how this can be integrated with Xojo :slight_smile:

[quote=172778:@Eugene Dakin]This is definitely interesting and will have to read up on this some more.

Another change with graphics is the Unreal Engine 4 is free UNREAL ENGINE 4 and am trying to see how this can be integrated with Xojo :)[/quote]
Why would you want to integrate Unreal with Xojo? Even IF it was possible, there would be licensing issues, and no real benefit.

1. It is a good engine.
  2. The licensing for the Unreal engine is quite reasonable.

[quote=172815:@Bob Coleman]1. It is a good engine.
2. The licensing for the Unreal engine is quite reasonable.[/quote]

Franklin 3d (Xojo plugin based on the popular Irrlicht engine) is good as well, I don’t see any use of it sadly.

Hi Ashot,

My guess was for 3-D visualization of commercial programs. As an example the flow of fluid in a reservoir and the modelling of the fluid and other potential issues in the formation. Since the engine is built, my hope would be that there would be less coding.

Your right, I would need to look at licensing a little more to see what would be needed.

I could be completely wrong though :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=“Unreal Engine site”]5% When You Ship

The 5% royalty starts after the first $3,000 of revenue per product per quarter. Pay no royalty for film projects, contracting and consulting projects such as architecture, simulation and visualization.[/QUOTE]

From the EULA:

[quote] However, no royalty is owed on the following forms of revenue:

The first $3,000.00 in gross revenue for each Product per calendar quarter;
Consulting fees or work-for-hire fees which are non-recoupable for services performed using the Licensed Technology (e.g., an architect-created walkthrough simulation or a contractor-developed in-house training simulator);
Revenue from non-interactive linear media (e.g., broadcast or streamed video files, cartoons, or movies) which is Distributed in a form that does not contain or, in order to deliver, rely on servers running the Licensed Technology;
Revenue from a Product which is only Distributed to Engine Licensees (such as through the Marketplace);
Revenue from ancillary products which are not software and which do not contain embedded information (such as QR codes) which affects the operation of the Product (e.g., comic books, soundtracks, apparel);
Financial winnings generated by awards for the Product;
Revenue from donations for a Product which are not tied to Product access or in-Product benefits; and
Revenue from interactive amusement park rides or coin-operated arcade games which use the Licensed Technology.[/quote]

Seems very fair to me. If you distribute software using the engine and make of $3000 a quarter then you owe them 5% of your software earnings over $3000 otherwise you owe nothing.

[quote=172469:@Massimo Valle]Greek mythology.
Khronos was a Titan father of all gods including Vulkan (Hephaestus) son of Zeus and therefore grandson of Khronos.[/quote]
Oh … and I thought he was a Goa’uld system lord …

Lack of good documentation is what killed it for me. I had a license some years back (I’m not even sure if that remains valid) and tried it, but the documentation was so limited and the examples not good enough to really get me started, that I never got beyond the initial test to see if it worked. Yes, it worked, but I wouldn’t even know how to start on making something more than a simple proof of concept tech demo with it.
Now don’t misunderstand me, it being based on Irrlicht probably means it is powerful enough to use it for real stuff, but it was beyond me due to lack of good documentation for the Franklin part of it (the documentation on the irrlicht website all seem to be based on c++, which is not helpful when I want to use the engine through Xojo).
Maybe an idea for a book by @Eugene Dakin :slight_smile:

Hi Dirk,

Yes, the documentation issue was also the same issue for me with Franklin 3D. I bought Franklin 3D in a Xojo bundle many years ago and had a tough time working through the demonstrations and documentation.

I usually tend to stay-away from writing for third-party’s until there are a few conditions (which Franklin may meet in 2015):

1. The plugin needs to be updated. When writing the book, there are bugs and issues found with the plugin that typically need to be fixed. It looks like Franklin 3D has the latest Irrlicht update as seen in the forum, and I can’t seem to view their webpage at http://www.franklin3d.com.
  2. The plugin should be reasonably priced so that this meets the average progammers budget. Does anyone know what the non-omega bundle price is?
  3. There should be a demand for the plugin and book. The main point of all of the work is to be beneficial to the Xojo community by adding another tool to Xojo. There seems to be demand for other topics during the last 2015 book survey, and this topic can be included for the next one.

The demonstrations on the old Franklin website looked great, and this could be an interesting topic for a book :slight_smile:

I think @Lynn Fredricks said that the website got hacked, but that was ages ago and it is still not back.
I went to the wayback machine, and the last version they have is from 2012.
The prices then were as follows.

[quote]Franklin 3D for REALbasic MacOS
$199.99
The Franklin 3D external for REALbasic for a single operating system platform.

Franklin 3D for REALbasic Pro
$299.99
The Franklin 3D plugins for REALbasic for both Windows and Mac OS X.

Franklin 3D for REALbasic Windows
$199.99
The Franklin 3D plug in for REALbasic for a single operating system platform.[/quote]

SPIR-V, and shaders in general are awesome!

Has anyone else had a chance yet to look at the new SPIR-V component of Vulkan?

Found a blog talking about the new graphics API’s and it turns out Vulkan is AMD’s Mantle improved to make it cross-vendor.

Random Thoughts on New Explicit Graphics APIs