Give context

It’s so often that @Norman Palardy and others have to ask questions like this when people try to explain their problem.

On what OS ?
32 bit code ? 64 bit code ?
Web project ? Desktop ? iOS ?

It’s clear that a problem-description only has any value when it’s context is given with it.

Naw - its so much more fun to play 20 questions just to figure out what the relevant conditions are
Engagement ! Interactivity !

even just putting questions in the right target instead of general helps give a clue

I think what is in my head should just be obvious to you.

I'm trying to get my program to do something....does anyone have that code? :P

gives a whole new meaning to “hollow look” :stuck_out_tongue:

j/k

[quote=345655:@Norman Palardy]
Naw - its so much more fun to play 20 questions just to figure out what the relevant conditions are
Engagement ! Interactivity !
[/quote]
Hmm, people used to put that info into their signature. Then Xojo removed signatures.

thank the people who would write novels in their signatures

There are many ways to deal with that.

You could limit the number of characters, you could have decreed “ONLY put info about your development system in”, you could make it a selection menu in the user profile for OS, Xojo version, etc and put that into the signature, and that’s just of the top of my head.

Xojo decided otherwise.

And blaming the users is not exactly constructive.

If Xojo would work more WITH the users then maybe I would be less disenchanted with it (has the project tab finally returned to the IDE? Is the IDE “toolbar” still a waste of space or is it finally customisable again like a proper toolbar? When do the quick buttons return for adding properties, methods, etc instead of clicking through menus? Not to forget that my license was treated as a second-class license without the same upgrade possibilities as others, even those bought from MacHeist for $2).

Right
We picked one that worked for us & was easy to implement
I dont recall your approval being on the list of criteria for what we decided to do

every comment here is correct. The problem is this is such a great forum and resource that it’s just too easy to ask a question here than to do the grunt work to look it up. And I’m sure I have been guilty of that on occasion - sorry.

My signature would have been: FRTM - oh, but we don’t HAVE manuals anymore. Sorry again, just one of my buttons. I like hardcopy to figure things out…

There are PDF’s and online versions
You could print the PDF into a bound volume but its not cheap

I have priced it and you are correct - it ain’t cheap.

not to mention… by the time you printed it, punched it, and bound it… there will have been a dozen additions, updates or deprecations

One reason I got into the habit of having multiple monitors on my systems many years ago was so I could have the electronic docs open on one monitor, tools (ide, etc) on another, and then the app being debugged would show up on one or the other and the app being debugged on another

I’ve been doing that since 1991/1992 when I purchased my first mac so I could occasionally work from home

Today thats even easier

[quote=345708:@Norman Palardy]Right
We picked one that worked for us & was easy to implement
I dont recall your approval being on the list of criteria for what we decided to do[/quote]
Thanks for emphasizing my point.