Getting App ready for --- AND TPSF questions

First off - the TPSF Question
In the “about” there is this line which doesn’t make sense, or I’m misreading it (as often happens), since there would be a lot of "App"s.

Is there a process or checklist for getting an app ready for testing?

There little things, like “Code Signing” which aren’t really explained

Not sure why that statement is in there as it doesnt appear to be true

The problem is that App has many meanings in a Xojo Project

Currently App is a class in the IDE navigator
Its a class like other classes in every respect
Suppose you rename it to “MyApp”
At runtime you can test if a class IsA MyApp since that is the type name of your applications main class

But at runtime App() is a global METHOD that returns the singleton reference to whatever App class you created in the IDE
In this case the App function would return a MyApp instance not an App

It uses App.ExecutableFile on Windows and Linux. When that code was written four years ago I was under the impression that App in that instance was using the project class. Today I learned it’s just a global function.

Thanks Norm. I had to ask. I’m going to ignore that note.

To rephrase it. Where do I name the Application? Is the name really the file name? In previous versions of XOJO or RB you could set the name.
In the New Project window, you can choose the name. Is that the name?
Also. How do I set this with TPSF?

I found a post on code-signing.
How do I Microsoft code sign my apps with Xojo?
I guess another way of asking this is how do I do this cheaply or even free?
I will probably never make any money off of this app.

So, Where do I set it?

Xojo App.ExecutableFile

Unless I’m mistaken, that’s an outside of the app reference instead of internal.

You don’t. It’s the default. :slight_smile:
But according to Norman, it shouldn’t matter here.

You might be looking for the Application Name property in build settings. Select a build target (macOS, Windows, Linux) and look at the inspector.

Thanks. Yes. That answers that question.
I guess as far as XOJO and TPSF are concerned, what do I set in code?
For instance. the folder this App is in, assuming it goes in SpecialFolder.Applications, Is it good programming practice to set this in code?
E.g. SpecialFolder.Applications = “ReviewCards”

[quote=485093:@Tim Parnell]You don’t. It’s the default. :slight_smile:
But according to Norman, it shouldn’t matter here.[/quote]
No
I grabbed TPSF and had a quick peek and it looks like all the uses of App will be to the global method NOT to the class type itself

[quote=485103:@Arthur Gabhart]Thanks. Yes. That answers that question.
I guess as far as XOJO and TPSF are concerned, what do I set in code?
For instance. the folder this App is in, assuming it goes in SpecialFolder.Applications, Is it good programming practice to set this in code?
E.g. SpecialFolder.Applications = “ReviewCards”[/quote]
You cant set it :slight_smile:
Its read only

Nothing! That’s kind of the idea :slight_smile:

[quote=485103:@Arthur Gabhart]For instance. the folder this App is in, assuming it goes in SpecialFolder.Applications, Is it good programming practice to set this in code?
E.g. SpecialFolder.Applications = “ReviewCards”[/quote]
You would use TPSF.AppSupport instead of setting anything. That function will return a folder specific to your application. You may need to create it if it does not exist, but TPSF will target the right place.

You only need to use TPSF if you are using the classic API and an IDE that doesn’t have one of the locations. In newer versions of Xojo, SpecialFolder.Resources eliminates the need for TPSF in most cases. There are still other needs for it (Frameworks for example), but I haven’t personally used the module in some time because of the updates to the framework.

Aah. That is why I’m confused. I don’t need TPSF, but I’m not sure what to do instead.

I keep up with the XOJO versions, but finding the intricacies and nets of code is daunting.
If I search for SpecialFolder.Resources in the example projects folder, it doesn’t show.

https://documentation.xojo.com/api/files/specialfolder.html

But because @Geoff Perlman decided to lock the history from the public, I can’t tell you which version it was added. Good luck figuring that out. I have exhausted the VIPs and they’re sick of hearing me complain that I can’t access this information.

Oh. I understand now.

So, If I eliminate TPSF, what do I need?