Getting a large file (30 GB)

A user needs to send me a large file of 30 GB. In the past I have been lucky in such rare occasions and the users simply uploaded the file to their Dropbox or whatever.

Now I have a very unexperienced user who doesn’t have Dropbox or iCloud. I could use ftp but he had major problems setting up Zoom.

Does anyone have an idea for an inexpensive solution?

1. Tell them to put it on a USB key and post it to you. Yup, snail-mail.

2. There are FTP apps for dummies to “drag & drop” to send big files, if you are prepared to turn on an FTP host briefly for them, and send them an IP address. It’s really old-school stuff, but FETCH is still around and if you’re prepared to walk them through it on a phone, maybe it could work.

However if they are so inept as to be unable to use ZOOM I doubt it.

2 Likes

The USB key probably is the best solution as the user also is in Germany. I really don’t want to use ftp with him.

1 Like

maybe zip/rar into multiple files of 1GB are more handy.
there is ms cloud one drive and google drive too.
FileZilla is a free tool but you have to open a port to access it.
if you have a web server provide them a upload into.

Google Drive, if they have a Google/Gmail account?

The user is really unexperienced. There isn’t even a current app to split files.

Google Drive has a maximum of 15 GB. Then he could get a month subscription to Dropbox.

1 Like

I don’t believe they need a Dropbox account to send you a file. You should be able to create a “file request” as a link which allows the user to drop the file into their browser.

1 Like

Have them upload to We Transfer (free service) at https://wetransfer.com/.

Oh, I guess it is only free up to 2GB – I’ve never had to do over that in the past. I’ll leave this reply as useful for under 2GB, but it looks like $10 USD/month for up to 200GB. Then cancel before the next month renews.

Edit: just noticed the $10/month says billed yearly :frowning:

I use an old Mac mini with Web (http port 80) access on it for large transfers. I have port 80 open on my router and it diverts these calls to my mini. I have a subdomain on my host that points to my home IP address. This way I can make available as large a file as the mini can fit.

One caveat: the user browser may complain about the connection being insecure. You can close the router port after download, for security.

@Greg_O : yes, that would work. I just chatted with Dropbox support. So I’ll go that route.