Get email messages from mail.app

I’d like to write an app to move emails (SMTP) from mail.app to a Filemaker database. As far as I can tell, there’s no way to do this directly in Xojo or MBS plugins. I know I can use AppleScript to do it, but I was looking for a more direct method.

Is there an alternative to AppleScript that I’m missing. (I know I can embed AS in Xojo).

@Beatrix_Willius writes software that does this. Perhaps you could avoid reinventing the wheel https://www.mothsoftware.com/

We use AppleScript via plugin to query emails via AppleScript.

e.g. see example here:
/MacCocoa/AppleScript/NSAppleScriptMBS query Mail mailboxes

Thanks, Tim. I took a look. It appears to store the emails in its own database.

I previously used an AppleScript-based app, sending it to a Filemaker database which contains over 150,000 emails from years gone by. It hasn’t been updated, so I thought I’d write my own to continue adding to the database.

Thanks, Christian. I’ll take a look. This is similar to what I’ll probably do. I just have a love/hate relationship with AppleScript. Some tasks are easy and some are hair-pulling problems. I was hoping for an MBS class that would get and dissect messages. It looks like AppleScript is the only way, probably because Apple keeps changing the format of their mail database with each update.

You might have missed this part @John_Eidsvoog?

Anthony, you’re right. They didn’t mention destinations in their main web page (strange). I’m trying the demo and it looks pretty good. I guess I’ll miss the fun of programming it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi John,

I’ll try to make the Filemaker destination a bit clearer. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions.