GEO IP Pt2

Hi Guys & Gals

I’ve updated the app somewhat & it now traces the route from you to my server. Same address - http://demo1.axisdirect.nz. This needs some UI work as it takes a little while to work out the route, so be patient.

Again your feedback would be welcome, and I will share.

Several IP addresses show up.
Pin is about 200 miles from my location, (Wales not England, but ‘within the UK’)

I expect the situation for my home is a bit extreme, its 2500km off, and a continent(almost).
on my tiny little island off the north african coast we have ADSL pigeons who pick up data packets and seemingly take them to the north of mainland spain.
I have no idea how they get the internet here and it seems neither does the internet.
Its safe to ignore any traffic from here in all equations I would expect.
but its nice and warm if anyone cares!

It depends on what location the ISP has for their ip address range. My ISP has my ip address in the South Island for some reason (Auckland is in the top two thirds of the North Island).

I see an empty listbox and a map of the world…

ah, after maybe a minute I have something. Shows Auckland, South Yarra, Milton Australia, than Los Angeles USA and Münster (Germany). But last IP is without location.

[quote=238964:@Wayne Golding]Hi Guys & Gals

I’ve updated the app somewhat & it now traces the route from you to my server. Same address - http://demo1.axisdirect.nz. This needs some UI work as it takes a little while to work out the route, so be patient.

Again your feedback would be welcome, and I will share.[/quote]

I takes a good 3-4 minutes then pins show up on all the nodes, up to my IP in Paris.

When I zoom in, I see the pin corresponding to my IP in smash center Paris, while I am actually located at the very north, about a mile and a half away.

Had me in Singapore. I live in Massachusetts. Then I remembered the private VPN. Turned that off and the pin was centrally located in my home town.

The tracker must be a barbecue lover. I had 4 locations in a row at Carolina Brothers Pit Barbecue in Ashburn, Virginia :smiley:

not far from my location, 5km or so
would be nice to have lines between the spots on the maps to see the traceroute ?

Still no good. There are 22 entries in the list box and the very last one is Petersburg West Virginia again - about 100 miles away.

What is the purpose of the app?

traceroute from your location to Wayne’s location and show it on a map

Ok… I waited 20 minutes… and nothing has appeared

Could quite literally be that his machine cant get to your from his - packets may be blocked or dropped or simply so delayed they are reported as lost

Again thanks for your help testing. The project is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18858366/WebGEOIP2.xojo_binary_project for those that are interested.

BTW this was just a bit of holiday fun, I don’t really see much application apart from knowing what country the web user is located in and even then proxy’s can break that.

Thank you Wayne. Indeed your method does provide the country. Which is already mighty nice.

In Europe, such resource as ipinfo.io is used often to insure that the language displayed by a web site conforms to the country : French in France, Spanish in Spain, German in Germany, and so on.

@Michel Bujardet thank you for your kind words. Down under we are mainly mono-linguistic, and in NZ mono-timezone as well. This requires us to broaden our thinking somewhat when dealing with the World :slight_smile:

For ALL this class will give you the country from the IP address supplied. It is asynchronous and requires the implementation of the Location event.

Just a note… I think it was Maxmind who started with making the DB commercially available. I remember digging through their Binary files was many times faster than pulling their DB into (for example) MySQL.
I think they still have their Lite version available for free.

More interesting nowadays are services like SkyHook, Mozilla and (I think) Google’s Geolocation services (that also have API’s) that use the MAC, BSSID info. In my case, the pin is literally on my house or office on the map.
Scary but it explains why Apple knows where my iMac is while it for sure doesn’t have a GPS build in.

Geolocation is a totally different kettle of fish to Geo-IP, however Geolocation can’t ever give you the Internet route map to your site while it can be very accurate as to where you are standing.

This conversation should be locked - there’s nothing much left to be said. @Xojo User