Generating Report in Xojo

Hi,

I was looking for suggestions on the best way to generate reports in Xojo. I’m working mostly on desktop apps for Mac, but would also be interested in Windows and Web apps.

I did a search but mostly found conversations that were 3, 4 or 5 years old. I know that Xojo has gone through a lot of changes to its API recently, so I’m just wondering what is a current way to dive into reporting.

Thanks,
Michael

[quote=491096:@Michael Reade]Hi,

I was looking for suggestions on the best way to generate reports in Xojo. I’m working mostly on desktop apps for Mac, but would also be interested in Windows and Web apps.

I did a search but mostly found conversations that were 3, 4 or 5 years old. I know that Xojo has gone through a lot of changes to its API recently, so I’m just wondering what is a current way to dive into reporting.

Thanks,
Michael[/quote]

Those conversations are a good source, after all, the reporting tool in xojo havent being improved in more than that. So, not a good option actually. For most of my reports, I send directly to the printer, and use the PDF printer in the OS, for others, I use a custom solution.

For 3rd party, I think the most polular ones are https://www.bkeeneybriefs.com/category/reporting/ and Valentina

the build in report designer exists only for desktop, it just need a RowSet from Database or a data class with an report interface.
web get a pdf class soon, maybe in next release.
you can use the graphics object to paint a report, graphics have a next page method. disadvantage is you have no designer.
third-party software, some people use a commandline tool to create pdf from html pages.
or report tools from xojo community members as Ivan above mentioned
or using a report server “JasperReports”
or using MS SQL Server Reporting Services if you have a MS SQL Server DB
it means report server + database can act autonomous.

I design my reports in HTML with «PlaceHolders» where specific fields, logos or tables are to be placed. I then display the preview in HTML to the user. I can export this as HTML, plain text or PDF. It I keep the RowSet for the table aside, I can export this to tab-delimited, CSV, HTML, XML, XLSX or PDF.

I am missing an excellent report editor and is one of my quests!