Generating a pseudorandom number at each site in an array

I’m new to programming and new to Xojo. I call a normal-distributed pseudorandom number, “Normal”, several times, each in different functions, and then do some math on it. For example, in function 1:

g(i,j)*Normal

I would like to have a different pseudorandom number at each site in the array given by i and j, but that number needs to be the same in function 1 as in function 2 for the particular choice of i and j, if that makes sense. What would be the easiest way to do that?

Hi Samuel,

what is the range of possible values for i and j ? If the range is not too large, you could have a global function that accepts the i,j parameters and returns your “normal” random number. The function could also store the number in a dictionary. The logic in your function would be:

• check in dictionary if a number has been previously returned for the i,j parameters
  • if so, return that same number
  • if not, generate a new number, store it and return it

again, this depends on the possible values for i and j.

Thanks, Bruno. Sorry for these basic questions, but I’m a beginner at this:

How do I create a global function in Xojo? I made a public function named Dictionary under App>>Methods. Is this “global” then?

Also, how do I “check” a dictionary, and how do I “store” a number? I have the following pseudocode written so far:

For i=0 to Size-1
    For j=0 to Size-1
      if 'check number
        Return 'number
      else
        'generate new number and store it
        Return 'new number
      end if
    Next
  Next

You can access your method with App.method name. If you want truly global then you need to create a module. Check the user reference on how to create and “store” properties, dictionaries and arrays.

@Bruno: Does the following work? I’m pretty shaky on the code as I’m still learning how to program.

Dim settings As New Dictionary For i=0 to Size-1 For j=0 to Size-1 if settings.HasKey(Normal(i,j)) then // check in dictionary if a number has been previously returned for the i,j parameters Return settings.Value(Normal(i,j)) // return that same number else Dim newNumber As Double // generate a new number settings.Value("new")="Normal(i,j)" newNumber = settings.Value("new") // store new number Return newNumber // return new number end if Next Next