Framework error

I have an application which runs fine. However, when I try to execute it on my laptop, I get an “Failed to locate Framework.DLL” error. The laptop is running Vista. I have downloaded and installed Microsoft Net.framework but that doesn’t fix it. What do I need on the laptop to execute this program?

"

Make sure you copy all the DLL’s

preface, i have worked with realbasic version 2007 until just recently and i moved to xojo 2014.

so, how do you copy the DLLs? i have created setup programs with an installer and an executable realbasic program many times and never seen the “failed . . . DLL” message but with xojo and a number of changes to my virus protectors, i just did.

thx

[quote=147755:@Carl Mize]preface, i have worked with realbasic version 2007 until just recently and i moved to xojo 2014.

so, how do you copy the DLLs? i have created setup programs with an installer and an executable realbasic program many times and never seen the “failed . . . DLL” message but with xojo and a number of changes to my virus protectors, i just did.
[/quote]

When you generate an executable with Xojo, it no longer is a unique .EXE as in 2007. You also have to copy the lib folder that comes with it. Make sure you update your setup builder with that folder and it will be fine.

michel, thx for the quick answer.

i went to the setup builder i use and i think i know where to add the lib folder ( on the window that says “Application files” it asks for the main executable file and if there are additional files and folders). i assume the lib folder would be selected as an additional folder). but i don’t know what the lib folder is.

[quote=147798:@Carl Mize]michel, thx for the quick answer.

i went to the setup builder i use and i think i know where to add the lib folder ( on the window that says “Application files” it asks for the main executable file and if there are additional files and folders). i assume the lib folder would be selected as an additional folder). but i don’t know what the lib folder is.[/quote]

When you build your application, it creates a folder called “My Application” (or whatever name you set), containing :

• My Application.exe
  • A folder called My Application Libs

Both should be copied in the C:\\Windows\\Program Files(x86) directory.

I am having the same problem on Windows 7 Pro. I have copied both the executable and the Libs folder. Still no go.

The same folder, with the same contents on my laptop, with Windows 7 runs fine.

Could it be that I can’t zip the folder, copy it to another machine, extract, and expect it to run?

Do I need to build an installer?

Installer is always a good thing, but not required, no. You should be able to just copy the files in place and run. As a troubleshooting step, try copying it into “neutral territory” - some non-system folder. Windows does funny things in the Program Files directory.

[quote=158187:@Rick Plummer]I am having the same problem on Windows 7 Pro. I have copied both the executable and the Libs folder. Still no go.

The same folder, with the same contents on my laptop, with Windows 7 runs fine.

Could it be that I can’t zip the folder, copy it to another machine, extract, and expect it to run?

Do I need to build an installer?[/quote]
Are you maintaining the folder structure? If not you need to do so.

Here is an example:

C:\\Program Files(x86)\\MyApplication\\MyApplication.exe C:\\Program Files(x86)\\MyApplication\\MyApplication_Libs\\Framework.dll (and more here)

Or if you drop it on the desktop:

.\\Desktop\\MyApplication\\MyApplication.exe .\\Desktop\\MyApplication\\MyApplication_Libs\\Framework.dll (and more here)

@Tim: I have tried it at the root of C drive, and the desktop.

@Bob: Yes. The structure is the same as the build, and the same as my laptop, which is working fine.

What kind of errors do you get? Missing/Can’t load a DLL? Can’t access some project resource, like a database? That’s one example: if you add a database file directly to the project (rather than open it in code), it becomes less portable.

@Tim Hare: “Failed to locate Framework.DLL”, on launch.

Moved to: https://forum.xojo.com/18862-failed-to-locate-framework-dll-error/0#p158227

Hello all; I am having this same problem on WinPE. 32 bit Xojo app on 32 bit WinPE. DLLs in correct area. Even tried moving the DLLs directly next to the Xojo executable. No luck.

I used to be able to run Xojo apps (Maybe like Xojo 2014-ish) in WinPE. Not sure if anything changed on the Xojo side, or if it’s out WinPE side.

I can’t view Rick Plummer’s link, as it is either deleted or my account is not privy to that forum section.

Any ideas?

WinPE is not a supported environment. Microsoft does not support the Universal C Runtime framework on WinPE.

Thanks for reply.

I thought Xojo was Win32 framework. When did Xojo move to Universal Runtime? I can’t believe I missed that…

It is still Win32- but we now use the dynamically loaded Universal C Runtime which is not supported in the limited WinPE environment.

See https://forum.xojo.com/26294-windows-applications-and-winpe/0