Forum way better than beta mail list

In my case, as soon as the forum gets proper email notifications, containing the body of the reply, I’ll be all set. I can deal with the other caveats of forum software as long as I can get new posts and post followups pushed through email that don’t require me to click to see the content.

There’s two things that make email superior:

1.-Due to its push nature, you get everything automatically, sorted through the rules you’ve set-up, ready waiting for you in a program you usually have opened (I wouldn’t be surprised if webmail-based users found forum software exactly the same as mailing lists, really).

2.-Offline archive and composing means that if you’re offline or your pipeline is otherwise occupied you can still browse, search and even answer or compose mails and responses and they’ll be sent out whenever. The queue and transmission happen, if you will, in a different thread.

For the second point, searching old posts would also qualify, but I admit that I search always first on the web (and usually find results from the list, which I then chase and reply to, if I had missed the first time around), but for many a massive offline archive is a good thing to have.

So: Please make email notifications right. Include the full text of the post (including quoted text) and make it east to reply from the email, if necessary. :slight_smile:

I had to find the info about the latest beta so I could download it again. Between doing a Find in Mail or going to Announcements in forums the forums easily won out in terms of time and ease of finding the information.

I concur with Eduardo. Having the option to receive the content in the notification mails would help a bit to recover the speed and ease of use mail had. I could then still apply filter by keywords, organize threads as I like etc. In terms of searching, my mail client easily and substantially beats the forum. But, if we can have the communication delivered to the inbox, I’d be quite happy already.

I’m not asking for the forums to be removed. Just that I can get new posts from specific threads/sections via email, so I decide whether I want to go to the web to reply.

Having said this, your comparison highlights precisely how we each work differently, I can’t imagine navigating any web in the world being faster than searching email:

cmd-opt-f,beta download->1.5s->Third result. Keyboard navigable. I got to the result faster than the homepage for the forum would load (not defending email, but defending different ways to do things, as I would go to the website to download a new beta, as I have always done).