Forum thread following a coding project?

Dear All,

Do people on the forum do “project” threads that follow the coder during the project? In other words, if I had a project called “Hobby Trains Controller”*, could I start a thread where folks sort of follow along during the process until hopefully the successful end.

Would that kind of thread be fun or useful?

If I decided to post that kind of thread, what category would I post it under.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

Tom

2 Likes

What do you contemplate posting into the thread?

It is uncommon but there are a couple. Yest, ic could be useful, it is related to the tool so, the General category sounds ok

1 Like

General if you would like it visible to guests, Off-Topic if you would like to only make it available to readers who are signed in with their Xojo account.

1 Like

Many hardware-oriented forums have “Build Log” type posts where people describe in detail their design and build process for a particular project. I wouldn’t mind seeing the software equivalent here, as I often find other people’s coding practices interesting and educational.

Wouldn’t “Code Sharing” be the most appropriate category?

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: I imagined it would be more than just “Here’s some code and what it means.”

It doesn’t really matter too much around this forum unless it’s in a blatantly wrong category.

1 Like

Of course you could, that would be great. I can’t think of too many threads like that on here, but I’m sure it would be interesting.

I agree with others, General would probably be fine for this kind of thing.

Go for it!

Maybe a blog post is a better fit?

1 Like

Blog is not interactive (if I understand correctly the OP).

Usually, people ask a question per thread. But it is OK (for me) to use a single thread for questions related to a project.

Blogs frequently have comment threads.

I like the blog idea a lot better. It’s a more obvious fit than forum post(s).

1 Like

A blog is a good idea. Two problems that I see are:

1. Comments/criticisms wouldn’t show up here in the forum.
  2. Problems I run into that you all help me with would end up outside the blog.

I have liked doing ‘build’ threads for things like machining steam engines, which is fairly easy to do. For coding, I am not sure how or if possible. Coding just doesn’t conform to a logical narrative structure, except when it does.

Tom

Yoiu could have one thread for reporting general progress and perhaps about design decisions around major chunks of the app. IOW, things with a broader scope. And then a number of threads about more localised issues .

So while the project goes on, and your posts keep going how would that even be possible to follow the thread? I guess a webinar is the best way, just longer let’s say a webinar of 4-days each day doing 1 hour of the project (summarize) and then a companion blog post.