Forum Etiquette ...

As Jason just pointed out the forum etiquette again (https://forum.xojo.com/32421-forum-etiquette-and-notices-2016) I like to give some feedback on it as it seems Xojo believes it’s not reaching everyone.

The list is just TOO LONG, causing people to not even bother reading it. It’s like those ever-long license agreements.

Many of the items can be removed because, seriously, all the things about foul language, flame wars etc. doesn’t have to be explicitly said - everyone knows that already. Writing it does as a rule won’t change that people do it anyway. If someone starts flaming or spamming, do you think it matters to them if someone points out that there’s a posting that says not to do it?? As if it were allowed if there was no such post?!

Also, to make it easier to browse it. Use headlines and bold text, to separate the parts. Some parts are not really part of an etiquette but rather for an FAQ, such as posting ANNs and “enable/disable forum access”. So, separate these parts more clearly instead of expecting everyone reading thru all of this without a purpose.

Thomas - you make some good points. I’m going to stop posting the reminders and we’ll just handle it case by case.

Jason, I don’t think you should stop the reminder - I had not even known about the etiquette post without it. It’s just that it should be made briefer so that people do not feel overwhelmed by it and actually read it :slight_smile:

Thomas, we’re thinking that most users will never even need to see the etiquette post. Very few people violate the rules. We’ll see if we can make that post smaller (sort of like the beginning of the Xojo license agreement) and still say what needs to be said.

When I see the etiquette post being posted again, I always have a guilty feeling and ask myself - was it something that I posted? If there is something that I did wrong, it would be nice to receive a personal message, this way i do not have to guess what I may/may not have done :slight_smile:

I’ve always assumed the etiquette posts were targeted at you, Eugene.

:wink:

(Pretty sure this post breaks rules 1, 3 and 5)

In all seriousness, with some minor exceptions, these forums continue to be easily the most pleasant and most useful that I’ve come across on the net. Particularly since Vlad Smudgings departed our company a year or two ago. So, I guess we’re all doing something right. Even Eugene :wink:

As far as I know, everyone here sends a personal message when they delete a post. I doubt that anyone has ever needed to delete one of your posts :slight_smile:

So when someone delete his own post, he is considered to have violated the etiquette. Interesting. :slight_smile:

Isn’t these “Tomorrow is … day” treads spam?..

Make a own group called “fun” or something so we could ignore it.

[quote=281868:@Kato Gangstad]Isn’t these “Tomorrow is … day” treads spam?..

Make a own group called “fun” or something so we could ignore it.[/quote]
They are always in Off Topic…

Disclaimer: Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I don’t think that they are spam. Off Topic seems ok to me.

Click the [CONTROLS] button to the right of the screen, and select [IGNORE CONVERSATION]

done and done

The problem wasn’t that a conversation kept growing, it’s that new conversations kept appearing. It’s monotonous to ignore 10 at a time.

I wish there was a way to ignore from the main list, like you can for favoriting.

+1