Forum Avatar?

No. At least during my time, esoTalk was never modified for Xojo’s use at all. The changes required, such as supporting Xojo logins and feedback links, were implemented using plugins built on esoTalk’s official API. This way forum updates would remain simple, something that was never true of phpBB.

@Thom McGrath I stand corrected! And thank you for your input!

Then there is the issue of having to police the images that people upload. Gravatar does that for us. I don’t want some wise guy uploading a questionable image. And I don’t want Xojo spending resources to monitor and prevent it.

I can upload whatever I want as my Gravatar image. As long as it’s not sexually explicit, they don’t seem to do anything and accept your rating, so I suspect they’re not as responsible as you’re giving them credit for.

Why does this seem to be such a prevalent point that’s made when people want something from Xojo that isn’t a bug fix or new feature in the product? Not every Xojo employee is an engineer.

Add a bit of parano: in google, type “images xojo” and cry after finding your images…

BTW: I saw a WIndows … window with a red titlebar…

Good search !

I can only say it was :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you’re unaware but this is great until someone responds to you and rather than a unique id it just includes your full name in the post which can then be googled and read without being logged into the forum thus breaking all preconceived notions of apparent privacy on the forum.

Having a globally unique name this was a concern of mine when I first signed up here as I try to minimise my online footprint, but now I’m past caring due to the number of data breaches going on.

That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. A google search for (“” xojo) doesn’t show any forum entry, and I am sure you have been quoted many times here. It used to be that way, and that was one of my concerns when we first moved to this forum and the actual name and picture were required. The picture isn’t that much of a hassle to me, you can use anything as picture, but I didn’t want to use my real name here. This is a hobby for me, and I would prefer my internet footprint to be only related to my professional activity.

I agree with the general feeling that requiring a 3rd party service (that I will never use for any other thing) to hold the forum picture is not convenient for the users. Since we are not required to show ourselves anymore, if I had to join the forum now I wouldn’t create a gravatar/blogspot account.

Julen

The last company I worked for decided (without consultation of staff) to introduce a new time logging system. It was a real PITA. You had to login, in your own time and accept your gazetted working hours. Then when you got to work, you had to enter your code and the system would take your photograph. It’s not like the company I worked for was producing “sensitive” products.

I had the absurd situation where one day I needed to start early in order to leave early and the “system” wouldn’t let me log in.

Absolutely dumb, and everyone hated it. We all had a great laugh when the system went down for a few days. Fortunately, and with foresight, I had written records of my time worked. In my view, if you introduce a new system, it should be easier to use than the last one. If not, then you need to be able to convince your users that the “overall” benefits will be worthwhile in the long run. A BIG FAT FAIL!!!

Anyway, back to how this is relevant to this thread. When I arrived at my work the first day that the “system” had been introduced, I was surprised/shocked/disturbed to see my Avatar (this one) next to my Employee Name. It wasn’t that I had an issue with my image being there per se, it was just that “I” hadn’t authorised it!! I felt a little bit violated.

It may well be the case that in the Gravitar sign-up fine print, there was a clause to the effect that my image can be used anywhere without my permission - so maybe my fault. Nevertheless, these things should NOT be “opt-in” as the default.

We’ve recently had a similar situation here in Aus with the National Health System. The Govt. decided it would be a great idea to collate eveyone’s medical records into one big database. On the surface, this sounds like a worthwhile idea. The problem was that it was an “opt out” scenario. People kicked up a stink, so the govt. extended the deadline to opt out. They didn’t change it to opt-in.

I think it’s because people like to be given a choice, in that “I’ll” decide what information goes where - even if it’s just perceived.

This has just given me a great idea. Maybe a script for a Sci-Fi movie. Along the lines of Logan’s Run mixed with Gattaca, and a big dose of Orwell’s 1984 thrown in. :slight_smile:

[EDIT] Just saw Julen’s post.
Yep, I too would have preferred not to have my real name on this forum.

I have noticed quite a lot of times now, when I register myself on a website, that my Gravatar picture is used as avatar right after registering.
Most of the time Gravatar isn’t used for avatars on that website, but my picture is used before I had the time to select an avatar myself.
Weird. :frowning:

Similar experience here on a number of occasions. That’s when I changed my picture to a triadic monochord …

It certainly will now…

That’s bizarre Paul. There must/should be an option.

I guess sometimes it’s fine, sometimes it’s not. I’d just prefer to make that choice myself.

@Markus
Is that something like the “Circle of 5th’s”?

@Jeff
fait accompli!

Stupid Me. I am trying to amend that. Sorry Julian.

Julen

I wonder how that can be possible under the European data protection law? From what I understand, they’d have to get your agreement for each site that might use your picture.
Anyway, I would appreciate if the successor of esoTalk includes an internal avatar hosting.

Well, my alter-ego is Nevets Siruopelek. Hopefully that tricks the bots.

Another aspect to this issue, but still related, is that most of the images I post here are a link on Imgur. When Imgur goes down (which it will), or start asking for a over the top monetry contributions (and I don’t go with it - or like the terms), then that means every every single image that I post using that link, and not just on this forum, will no longer exist. Then all those texts will be left without context.

I see it all the time, search for something, see a thread, text is there but the images are no longer available. Perhaps it’s best to have some other method.???

When you add your account to Gravatar and set the avatar image, you give permission for this functionality.

Also, they do have privacy settings:

Gravatar Profile Privacy

Disclaimer - I’m not a big fan of Gravatar, just sharing what I’ve found.

A google search with Julian S**** found 72 links from site:forum.xojo.com for me. Several as how Julian described (mention his full name on a quote or post) but others because he shared links to a blog.