For those who were wondering.....

What was it that prompted Dave to create that lTreeView Control?

I have been working on this project (below) for close to two years now off and on…

and for how I wanted it to work, and standard Listbox just didn’t cut it :slight_smile:

I think I’ve seen that UI somewhere before :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah… its a cross between VB6 and Interface Builder actually.

perhaps something closer to home than that :stuck_out_tongue:

Think what you will… but in reality… it looks A LOT closer to the IDE for XAMARIN…
or MobiOne for that matter

All cars have a wheel and a speedometer…

I’ve also been working on an IDE for over two years now. It’s more of a 2D game development focused IDE.

What does your IDE compile into?

Thanks

[quote=178417:@Oliver Scott-Brown]What does your IDE compile into?

Thanks[/quote]
In order to not violate the EULA (and this is up for debate it seems), right now it is just a pixel accurate mock up designer, but the planned next step is to allow it to create on-device GUI (no business logic), and that will be done in SWIFT. This application does not and will not do any actual compiling or interpeting of any language syntax ever. The most it will do is “write” a Swift program and leave it up to a developer to use XCODE to complete the code, compile the code, sign the code, deploy the code.

FOR THE RECORD. AT NO TIME IS THIS OR WAS THIS INTENDED TO BE A COMPETITOR IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM TO XOJO™ (or any other iOS platform for that matter). ITS INTENT WAS TO FIRST AND FOREMOST CREATE PIXEL ACCURATE MOCKUPS OF SCREENS FOR APPLE™ “I” DEVICES USING CONTROLS FROM THE APPLE UIKIT™, AND WAS NEVER PLANNED ON BEING A “SOUPS TO NUTS” APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM.

WIKIPEDIA DEFINES AN IDE AS [quote]An IDE normally consists of a source code editor, build automation tools and a debugger.[/quote]

Meaning my application is NOT an IDE, as there is no source code editor, no automation tools and no debugger

[quote=178422:@Dave S]In order to not violate the EULA (and this is up for debate it seems), right now it is just a pixel accurate mock up designer, but the planned next step is to allow it to create on-device GUI (no business logic), and that will be done in SWIFT. This application does not and will not do any actual compiling or interpeting of any language syntax ever. The most it will do is “write” a Swift program and leave it up to a developer to use XCODE to complete the code, compile the code, sign the code, deploy the code.

FOR THE RECORD. AT NO TIME IS THIS OR WAS THIS INTENDED TO BE A COMPETITOR IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM TO XOJO™ (or any other iOS platform for that matter). ITS INTENT WAS TO FIRST AND FOREMOST CREATE PIXEL ACCURATE MOCKUPS OF SCREENS FOR APPLE™ “I” DEVICES USING CONTROLS FROM THE APPLE UIKIT™, AND WAS NEVER PLANNED ON BEING A “SOUPS TO NUTS” APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM.

WIKIPEDIA DEFINES AN IDE AS

Meaning my application is NOT an IDE, as there is no source code editor, no automation tools and no debugger[/quote]
I would agree with you that this is not an IDE. When I saw it though I thought it might have been one.
I think that definition is more general use of the term. I think it is debatable that all three are required for an IDE. But for sure, it only covers one aspect of the app development (I suppose).

[quote=178422:@Dave S]

WIKIPEDIA DEFINES AN IDE AS

Meaning my application is NOT an IDE, as there is no source code editor, no automation tools and no debugger[/quote]

Does the Xojo EULA say anything about creating an IDE with Xojo? I am genuinely curious since I am making an IDE myself, which will actually “compile” apps.

The only thing I have seen is to include the “Made with Xojo” in the splash screen and/or about window of your app.

http://www.xojo.com/download/eula.php

• You won’t create a derivative of the Xojo IDE, frameworks or compiler.

Could you clarify this? Does that mean that an alternative IDE or compiler or framework won’t be created for Xojo?

I am not a lawyer so take this with a grain of salt.
My understanding of that English wording is that people won’t use the IDE to create an IDE for Xojo projects nor would our compiler & frameworks be used in such an alternative IDE.

You could write an alternative in Objective C , C++, etc but could not use our compiler or frameworks in such a tool.
You’d have to come up with your own.

[quote=178368:@Dave S]Think what you will… but in reality… it looks A LOT closer to the IDE for XAMARIN…
or MobiOne for that matter[/quote]
Funny how IDE’s are all so similar yet really haven’t moved much in the interceding 20 years :slight_smile:
All slightly derivative of VB / Delphi circa 1994/1995 in many ways